N-Trig DuoSense Digitizer drivers dont work with Windows 8

Question

• Hi,

I have installed windows 8 on my Dell Latitude XT2 (64 bit). The multi-touch and pen are stopped working, culprit is N-Trig drivers. I thought maybe windows 7 drivers worked on windows 8 also but its not.

Is anybody else facing this issue?

Regrads

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:54 PM

Answers

• One more update.  I went back into the folder where I extracted the driver and ran the DPInst manually.  That seemed to do the trick!  Touch now appears to be working well on my tx2.
    -- Perry
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:33 PM
  • Thanks for the reply!!! was able to installed the driver from HP site without extracting the file manually, when running setup when I received the error then search for the DPINST run as admin did the trick to install the driver.

Thanks again.

JR
    Monday, September 19, 2011 4:22 AM

All replies

• I'm having the exact same problem with the N-Trig drivers on my HP tx2.  I can touch swipe (sometimes), but I cannot touch to select or "click" anything.  The Device Manager reports that the DuoSense device drivers were not loaded, and I am not able to install them using the software from the N-Trig website.

It's very unfortunate!  I was really looking forward to trying out Win 8 with the touch screen.

-- Perry
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:40 PM
  • Go grab the drivers from the NTRIG site, try to install them, they will fail.

Go to the Windows Folder check the temp folder inside and look for the NTRIG install log

Open it

Check for the folder that contains the unpacked driver

browse for it and copy all the contents to another place

go to the device manager, rightclick on duosense and when prompted indicate the place where you left the drivers.

Working drivers (at least).

Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:06 PM
  • This is great information!  But I'm a bit confused.  In the log file, I see references to two different folders, the Support Location and the Package location.  The Support Location folder is empty, and if I use the file in the Package location, copying it to another folder, I get an error that the folder I copied it to does not contain a driver.

Any ideas?  I'm going to keep messing with it...

-- Perry
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:13 PM
  • I downloaded the driver from ntrig site

try to install, installation faied...goto the temp folder and get the directories

one directory was missing that contains the extracted files. so downloaded a 3rd party software and extracted the files from the .exe (ntrig downloaded file)

went to device manager, right click and tried updating the driver. it says driver is upto date.

uninstall the duosense and try to scan for the hardware changes go the following message and it installed it as a USB interface under Human Interface section...

Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:34 PM
  • found NTrig rollback utility ran it and now it switches the firmware to factory default...from windows 7.

here is what i have got...

Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:37 PM
  • If you used the rollback utility you're going to be stuck with single touch until you go back to Windows 7 and reflash it with the Windows 7 installer.  I know this because I did the exact same thing on my XT at first.

Also, maybe don't update the drivers manually in device manager.  There should be a DpInst.exe extracted with the drivers themselves (I don't have a tx2, but that's what happened with my XT and XT2).  Use the DpInst.exe which will force those drivers to be installed, no matter if the already installed driver is newer.

And I'm not sure how it's extracting for the tx2, but for me on the XT/XT2 it extracts a driver into the main folder and then it has a subfolder with a second driver in an "x64" folder (or "x86" if you're not using 64-bit).  The main driver folder is I believe the one which is used as part of the firmware flashing process.  What you want to install is the one in the subfolder.

Those are the last possible things I can think of, other than that, I'm stumped.

(Edit:  This also shows why Microsoft really needs to work with N-Trig to get a Windows 8 -compatible driver installer released, because it is a slightly painful process at this point).
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:44 PM
  • I do have XT2

atleast now pen and touch is working. but everytime I touch the screen the light dims and sometime completely dimmed I had to touch the mouse or any other key to get the light back.

do you know whats happening?

also do you know how can i switch from single to multi-touch? cause whenever i try to installed windows 7 drivers it says OS is not supported or something like that. I have also tried dpInst and when i run it it says N-Trig is ready to use and drivers are successfully installed.
    • Edited by CloudNo9 Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:57 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:52 PM
  • To get multitouch back unfortunately you'd have to boot into Windows 7 and re-install the Windows 7 drivers there, which will upgrade the firmware.

As for the light dimming, no idea.  Maybe you're blocking the light sensor or something when you touch the screen?

Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:03 PM
  • is there a way to trick the drivers that it is a window7...any settings or inf file?
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:12 PM
  • Well, after manually extracting the drivers from the .EXe file and updating the driver from the Device Manager, I was able to install the touch drivers successfully.

Unfortunately, doing so didn't resolve the touch problems I'm having.  I can still use touch only in a very few places.  It will bring up the charms on the right side of the screen, and it works a bit to swipe (though not very well at all).  I cannot touch to "click" or select anything and there is no multi-touch working at all.  I booted back into Windows 7 just to make sure that the multi-touch firmware was still working and it continues work just fine in Win 7.

So I'm not sure what the problem is; perhaps the N-Trig drivers on the HP simply don't work correctly in Win 8.

-- Perry
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:42 PM
  • One more update.  I went back into the folder where I extracted the driver and ran the DPInst manually.  That seemed to do the trick!  Touch now appears to be working well on my tx2.
    -- Perry
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:33 PM
  • Hello Perry, I'm having the same issue with my hp TX2 cannot install getting the error fatal during installation. Downloaded the driver from HP and Ntrig but no luck installing the driver. where did you download the driver and how did you get it to work?

Thanks,

JR
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:18 AM
  • Hi JR,

As others in this thread suggested, I used a utility to extract all of the files from the N-Trig installer.  The installer I found on the N-Trig website and the utility was one called Universal Extractor which I found doing a Bing search.

Once I extracted the files, I went into the folder where they were stored and found a file called DPInst.exe.  I ran that file which installed the drivers.

Good luck!

-- Perry
    • Proposed as answer by PerryReed Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:46 AM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:46 AM
  • Thanks for the reply!!! was able to installed the driver from HP site without extracting the file manually, when running setup when I received the error then search for the DPINST run as admin did the trick to install the driver.

Thanks again.

JR
    Monday, September 19, 2011 4:22 AM
  • DPInst does not work on 32bit version of the driver.  I have a Fujitsu Q550, which is Atom processor that only supports 32bit.  Anyone having luck getting this installed in a 32bit environment?

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:27 PM
  • Thanks Perry!  I found Universal Extractor and ran it on sp50505.  That got me a folder with a Setup.exe and a .pdf and a couple of .rtf documents.  I then ran Universal Extractor on the Setup.exe.  That got me a Setup folder.  The path to DPInst.exe was sp50505\Setup\Disk1\x32.  I double clicked on DPInst and it installed the driver just fine.  Multi touch works now!
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:31 AM
  • Same here, have tried many tricks on stylistic q550 but no luck so far, but that's ok, the preview is working great already

Here is my hands-on http://nicuonwindowslive.wordpress.com/2011/09/24/install-and-try-windows-8-developer-preview-on-fujitsu-stylistic-q550-tablet/

Monday, October 24, 2011 1:04 AM