using third party control on ASP .net MVC RRS feed

• Question

• User-1954338773 posted

We have been using Izenda AdHoc reporting tools in one of our webform application. Now, we are going to convert all our existing webform applications to a ASP.Net MVC. Since MVC is not so strong in terms of supporting third party controls, in that case how well Izenda AdHoc reports would work on MVC? Has anyone used this tool in their application? Any suggestion would be great.

Thanks!

Sunday, August 29, 2010 9:58 AM

Answers

• User-821857111 posted

They appear to be ASP.NET Server Controls based, which means that you will need to run them in a web forms environment. But you can mix web forms with MVC to accommodate them.

http://www.packtpub.com/article/mixing-asp.net-webforms-and-asp.net-mvc

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 5:19 PM
  • User1564875471 posted

in that case how well Izenda AdHoc reports would work on MVC?

I think the best way is to try to contact Izenda and ask about that.

Any suggestion would be great.

One way is to create a web form in the MVC application which serves as a reports viewer page.Then in your mvc views, you can reference it using Iframe or you can even request the reports viewer page from client side and retrieve the report html (e.g using jquery ajax API's).

I really don't see any issue in using MVC and web forms in the same application.Personally i prefer to use web forms for back end administration pages, and MVC for public pages.

Sunday, August 29, 2010 5:29 PM

All replies

• User-821857111 posted

They appear to be ASP.NET Server Controls based, which means that you will need to run them in a web forms environment. But you can mix web forms with MVC to accommodate them.

http://www.packtpub.com/article/mixing-asp.net-webforms-and-asp.net-mvc

Sunday, August 29, 2010 5:19 PM
  • User1564875471 posted

in that case how well Izenda AdHoc reports would work on MVC?

I think the best way is to try to contact Izenda and ask about that.

Any suggestion would be great.

One way is to create a web form in the MVC application which serves as a reports viewer page.Then in your mvc views, you can reference it using Iframe or you can even request the reports viewer page from client side and retrieve the report html (e.g using jquery ajax API's).

I really don't see any issue in using MVC and web forms in the same application.Personally i prefer to use web forms for back end administration pages, and MVC for public pages.

Sunday, August 29, 2010 5:29 PM
  • User-821857111 posted

I have some sites that comprise of Web Forms front ends and classic ASP back ends. The back ends work fine, and are a lot of work to convert over to ASP.NET. So the question also has to be asked, why the need to convert to MVC?

That question was directed at bladerunner, btw. :o)

Sunday, August 29, 2010 5:34 PM
  • User-1954338773 posted

Thanks for the input guys. That helps a lot. Actually we are trying to merge our web applications into a single system - could be a new MVC app or could be a web app. Thats what we have been debating now. These reponses would definitely help in terms of handling Izenda reports in case we decide to use MVC. 

Thanks once again.

Sunday, August 29, 2010 7:42 PM