Windows8/Metro apps: possible to install desktop c++/c components during installation?

Question

• Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible that Windows8/Metro apps (for example c++/XAML) during installation can ask the user the permission to install something (like an utility) in the desktop environment. Thanks in advance.

• Moved by Rob Pan Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:15 AM (From:Visual C++ General)
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 8:54 AM

Answers

• Everything that the app wants to install should be packaged along with the app.  You cannot specify locations where stuff should be installed, other than the root of your package.  And ideally your app should not be required to know where exactly the app package is installed.

If the thing you want to install along with your app is another utility then it is recommended that it be a WinRT component that can be programmatically called, rather than an executable utility.  I think there is no way to invoke other executables from within your app.

Thanks

Raman Sharma, Visual C++

Thursday, October 13, 2011 1:43 AM

All replies

• if you provide the dll as binary dependencies, you should be able to distribute it but it won't be installation, just copy file

there is amanifest for the installation.

check build sessions available on channel9.

Christophe Pichaud
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 12:35 PM
  • Thanks.

I meant a separate little app, like a command line utility, an .exe file, not a dll.

1- If it is able to run without installation but just with its own files copied somewhere, would be the user able to run it into the desktop environment?

2- Would it be possible that it is launched together when the Metro app is launched?

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 12:57 PM
  • Everything that the app wants to install should be packaged along with the app.  You cannot specify locations where stuff should be installed, other than the root of your package.  And ideally your app should not be required to know where exactly the app package is installed.

If the thing you want to install along with your app is another utility then it is recommended that it be a WinRT component that can be programmatically called, rather than an executable utility.  I think there is no way to invoke other executables from within your app.

Thanks

Raman Sharma, Visual C++

Thursday, October 13, 2011 1:43 AM
  • thank you very much.

do you know if this WinRT component can be an open-source derived component?

Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:12 AM
  • The technology that you use to build your components is your decision.  We don't make recommendations about particular technologies.

All the contents of your app (including this component) will need to pass the the App Certification Kit though.

Friday, October 14, 2011 12:45 AM
  • My last question was about licensing issues.

For example, single machine installation constraint on Metro tablets or pcs would infringe GPL license. Are there this kind of constraint on MS App store?

Friday, October 14, 2011 7:36 AM