none
What is the format of PidTagImportance having PtypBinary type (.pst/.ost)? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Somehow I definitely know that Outlook can produce files which have PidTagImportance property with PtypBinary type instead of PtypInteger32 as described in specs. So, what I want to know is:

1) What is the steps to get such a .pst/.ost file via Outlook (e.g. 2013)?

2) What is the format of such property?

Thursday, February 25, 2016 5:13 PM

All replies

• Hello Aleksei,

Thank you for you question. One of our Open Specifications team members will respond to you shortly.

Thanks,
    Kamil Sykora

Thursday, February 25, 2016 6:05 PM
  • Hi Aleksei, I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. Do you have an example of a message object that contains that property and the type is set to PtypBinary? If possible, please send that to me at dochelp(at)microsoft(dot)com for review. Do you know how the file was created, or by what application and version?

Thank you.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Thursday, February 25, 2016 6:38 PM
  • Hi Josh, thank you.

Unfortunately, I don't have such a file. I'm exploring .pst format and writing a program for analysis. Some people have used the program on their private files, and it has been investigated that there are PidTagImportance (0x0017) properties with PtypBinary type.

Friday, February 26, 2016 9:51 AM
  • Hi Aleksei, I cannot locate anywhere that Outlook either defines or interprets the PidTagImportance property as a PtypBinary type. I suspect that the message(s) was either created by a different e-mail application or is corrupted in some way. To be able to continue the investigation I would need a message containing that property to examine.

Monday, February 29, 2016 8:03 PM
  • Hi Aleksei, since I have not heard back from you in several days I need to re-iterate that I will not be able to continue investigating this issue without a sample message to examine. Please let me know if you can provide one. Otherwise, we will consider this issue closed.

Thank you.

Friday, March 4, 2016 10:13 PM