none
Document Set Content Type With Reusable 2010 Workflow

Question

• Hi,

I have SharePoint 2013 and SharePoint Designer 2013.  I've created a document set content type.  I've created a 2010 reusable workflow for that document set content type in SharePoint Designer and have associated it with my document set content type in SharePoint Designer as a 2010 Workflow.

Then, I opened the document set content type at the top level site and selected the Workflow Settings.  I associated the 2010 Workflow with the document set content type.

When I go to the library that uses the document set content type and click on the ellipsis (...) to display the context menu, thw workflow does not show up under Workflows from the context menu.

What's going on?  Do 2010 reusable workflows not work with document set content types?

Thanks! Patti N.

Friday, December 30, 2016 9:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Perhaps you can verify this for me.

I've come to the conclusion that the out-of-the-box 2010 reusable workflows, such as the Collect Signatures - SharePoint 2010 workflow, do NOT work on document set content types. They'll work on regular content types. But they do not even show up, when set to start manually, so you can start the workflow whether you attach it to the doc set content type or add it via the library.

If I create my own reusable workflow and attach it to the document set content type, it still doesn't show up for manual start. 

If I create a reusable workflow and attach it via the library to the document set content type, then it shows up and I can start it manually.

Thanks! Patti N.

• Marked as answer by Naccarati Monday, January 16, 2017 9:47 PM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2017 3:44 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, the "Collect Signatures" workflow will not work with document sets because it is designed to route specific file types for people to sign within those applications, not within SharePoint.

If I create my own reusable workflow and attach it to the document set content type, it shows up for manual start correctly.

Please check if the “Disable manual start option” has been checked.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 9, 2017 11:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Firstly, please make sure that the content type of item you clicked on the ellipsis is the document set which has associated to reusable workflow.

How did you associate the 2010 reusable workflow with the document set content type? Did you check “Yes” for Update List and Site Content Types field?

If the 2010 workflow still doesn’t show, please open the reusable workflow via SharePoint Designer 2013 and click Associate to List button, choose the library you need and fill in the popped out form.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 2, 2017 2:47 AM
  • Associating it to the list didn't work.  In fact, because it's associated to a content type, I had to give it a new name in the list. But, thanks for trying. Yes, everything else you mention set up correctly.

Thanks! Patti N.

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 3:22 PM
  • Hi,

Please go to Site Settings > Site content types > Document set > Workflow settings, check if the workflow has been added successfully.

After that, click “Update all related content types with these workflow association settings” link, test whether the issue still occurs.

Also, please try to create a new library and add document set content type to the new created library, then create a document set in this library and check if the workflow shows up.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 8:07 AM
  • Hi,

Perhaps you can verify this for me.

I've come to the conclusion that the out-of-the-box 2010 reusable workflows, such as the Collect Signatures - SharePoint 2010 workflow, do NOT work on document set content types. They'll work on regular content types. But they do not even show up, when set to start manually, so you can start the workflow whether you attach it to the doc set content type or add it via the library.

If I create my own reusable workflow and attach it to the document set content type, it still doesn't show up for manual start. 

If I create a reusable workflow and attach it via the library to the document set content type, then it shows up and I can start it manually.

Thanks! Patti N.

• Marked as answer by Naccarati Monday, January 16, 2017 9:47 PM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2017 3:44 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, the "Collect Signatures" workflow will not work with document sets because it is designed to route specific file types for people to sign within those applications, not within SharePoint.

If I create my own reusable workflow and attach it to the document set content type, it shows up for manual start correctly.

Please check if the “Disable manual start option” has been checked.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Monday, January 9, 2017 11:23 AM