Does SQL Server Spatial support annotation\text objects? RRS feed

• Question

• Folks,

I'm looking for an informed confirmation or denial of SQL's ability to store text objects as geometry types.

The context is the storage of AutoCAD data in SQL. CAD objects such as lines polygons and points are stored fine, however text objects seem to be missing. I'm using a tool suite from Hexagon Geospatial for upload.

My reading of the OGC standard says there are Annotation Text and Text Entities objects that are stored in 'envelopes' within the geometry type. http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=25355

However none of the supported enquiry functions I have seem to be able to extract any textural data. Queries such as this return just a POINT or a MULTIPOINT.

Select TextGeometry.STAsText() from Plan

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

regards

Andrew

Friday, September 9, 2016 2:14 AM

Answers

• Yes, the SQL Server spatial implementation does not support additional text in a spatial object.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Bob Beauchemin Monday, September 12, 2016 8:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by andyew Monday, September 12, 2016 11:36 PM
    Sunday, September 11, 2016 7:36 AM
  • Hi Andyew,

Based on my research, there is no built in support for ANNOTATION Text in SQL Server so I guess you have to implement it by yourself. In the second part of OpenGIS documentation, it demonstrates how to create it in SQL, I would suggest you start with that. Note that the code in the documentation is not wrote in Transact-SQL, you need to convert it to Transact-SQL before implementation.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin
    Monday, September 12, 2016 8:31 AM

All replies

• Hello Andrew,

Why don't you simply use an addition column in your table to store annotations / further textual or other information's?

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Friday, September 9, 2016 7:32 PM
  • Hello Andrew,

Why don't you simply use an addition column in your table to store annotations / further textual or other information's?

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thanks for the reply Olaf but my question is more about specific support of functionality than trying to solve a problem.

If you are confirming that SQL DOES NOT SUPPORT the ANNOTATION or TEXT ENTITY type as a GEOMETRY then your assistance is appreciated. Is this the case?

• Edited by andyew Monday, September 12, 2016 11:37 PM typo
    Saturday, September 10, 2016 3:27 AM
  • Yes, the SQL Server spatial implementation does not support additional text in a spatial object.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Sunday, September 11, 2016 7:36 AM
  • Hi Andyew,

Based on my research, there is no built in support for ANNOTATION Text in SQL Server so I guess you have to implement it by yourself. In the second part of OpenGIS documentation, it demonstrates how to create it in SQL, I would suggest you start with that. Note that the code in the documentation is not wrote in Transact-SQL, you need to convert it to Transact-SQL before implementation.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin
    Monday, September 12, 2016 8:31 AM