SMTP configuration for WSS3 & windows server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows server 2008 & WSS3 installed .. when I try to add user and send mail to him I got this error "The user or users have been added successfully, but there was an error in sending the e-mail message. The server may not be set up correctly to send e-mail." ... I have a problem in sending mails from sharepoint to different servers  ... I have made the following configuration

1. Start IIS6 Manager (Start/Adminisdtrator Tools)
       2. Drill down to the SMTP Server and right-click for the Properties.
       3. On the Access tab - Authentication button, have 'Anonymous' as the only one selected
       4. On the Access tab - Connection button, select 'All except the list below' and leave the list blank.
       5. On the Access tab - Relay button, select 'Only the list below' and add two entries - the ip address of the current server and the loopback adapter (127.0.0.1)
       6. On the Delivery tab - Outbound Security button, select 'Basic Authentication' and include the username and password of company's mail /or GMail account.
       7. On the Delivery tab - Outbound Security button, tick the TLS option.
       8. On the Delivery tab - Advanced button, set the 'Smart host' to "mail.company.com"/or "smtp.gmail.com".

9. From IIS7, In leave SMTP Mail empty, and select the second option.
    10. I configured the sharepoint Outgoing mail from central administration.
    11. Also, I tried both 25 and 587 as the port number.("Delivery" tab-->"outbound connections" --> TCP Port)
    12.Restart IIS.. and then I tested again but no mails sent from sharepoint.

I used the "SMTP Test Tool" and tested my company's mail, it send successfully.

Also I installed a sharepoint feature that send mail(using System.Net.Mail), it doesn't throw exceptions but doesn't send mails.

Any help or advice would be highly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance,
    Amira
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 3:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Does your IIS SMTP work well in local domain?

Please test it and make sure you can send or receive the email using local domain account by IIS SMTP.

“The user or users have been added successfully, but there was an error in sending the e-mail message. The server may not be set up correctly to send e-mail."

Can you let me know the email account of the user within errors, is it a account of another email server?

Hope this helps

Thanks!

Stanfford

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 6:46 AM