screen turns totally black while updating driver for grapic card ati radeon 3400series

Question

• On Lenovo thinkpad t400

After installing windows, the driver for ati radeon 3400 will shown in the windows update list, but when i click to install it ,the screen will turn totally black. the system is seemingly still working, just the monitor turned off, no way to wake it. Each time after that, the only thing I can do is to turn off the power,  restore the system via the bootable usb or directly reinstall the syestem . it happened than 5 times and I am nearly crazy now. Could some guy help me to solve this? 

Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:09 AM

All replies

• Are you trying to install drivers meant for Windows 7 ?  

Instead of running the installer, try extracting the files.  Go to Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Find and expand 'Display Adapters'

You'll see your device listed.  Right click and 'Update Drivers'.  Browse to the extracted folder and see if this works...

Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:10 AM
  • i have the same issue, with a tm2-1007tx (ati hd 4550m)

i tried installing the drivers with device manager, but it likes the drivers thats already installed better :(

Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:00 AM
  • Yes, the driver is for windows 7. I just did what you said, the driver still could be installed.

I hided this update in windows update setting to make it not automatically installed. system works smoothly so far though this graphic card  have a '!' sign in the 'device manager'.

Friday, September 16, 2011 4:34 AM
  • the same as you, when i try to update the driver in device manager, it also shows ' the drivers thats already installed better'.

Since we have  graphic cards from the same company,this driver compiled on former platform might be incompatible with windows 8. Wait AMD to fix this problem.

Friday, September 16, 2011 4:42 AM
  • @Baijian

i tried that aswell, it was working well for about half an hour, then i tried to install office 2010, and before the installer loaded it happened again

Friday, September 16, 2011 4:42 AM
  • @ tchard

what i installed is office 2007, works well from yesterday till now.

i remember some body said that office 2010 doesn't work well on windows8 , but it havn't been verifed.

Friday, September 16, 2011 4:48 AM
  • plus, have you hide this update in windows update yet?
    Friday, September 16, 2011 4:50 AM
  • I was installing my intel win7 driver when the screen went Black - I forced restarted (pressed the power button for 10secs) - and upon reboot the driver was installed :)

Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:36 AM
  • I had some issues on my notebook, with switchable graphics.

Upon booting, the screen would be black. This is incredibly unusual as broken drivers would probably result in a BSOD and no drivers would result in automatic installation, and there would be no black screen.

If figured the display was being extended onto another monitor which actually didn't exist, and I was correct.

Upon logging on, I turned up the volume and press windows+U to open accessibility. I pressed tab and enter a few times until I activated the Narrator. Then, I alt-tabbed to desktop, and right clicked. Using the narrator's voice, I used the down arrows and enter key to select "screen resolution". I tabbed until the narrator said "desktop only on 1". I pressed enter, down arrow to select "desktop only on 2", enter and tabbed my way to the apply button.

To update your AMD drivers, download the AMD drivers and run the installer. This isn't enough, however. Navigate to where they were extracted, and go to packages\drivers\display\W76A_INF. Unfortunately, the .msi file doesn't like Windows 8. Download and install tool called "orca .msi editor" and right click on the .msi file with packages\drivers\....\W761_INF and click "edit with Orca".

On the left, open "install execute sequence" and change "DlldetectOS" to 0. Click save, close Orca, and run the .msi file.

If that doesn't work, then navigate to where the driver installation files were extracted and open bin64. Troubleshoot compatibility for "InstallManagerApp" and run it for Windows 7. Then run the .msi file you edited with Orca.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:45 AM
  • Are you trying to install drivers meant for Windows 7 ?  

Instead of running the installer, try extracting the files.  Go to Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Find and expand 'Display Adapters'

You'll see your device listed.  Right click and 'Update Drivers'.  Browse to the extracted folder and see if this works...

I have had installed drivers, after update, they changed to Microsoft Basic Display Drivers, and now, Display Adapters are missed from Device Manager.. :/ How i can return display drivers in DM?
    Thank you! :)
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:13 PM