Detecting which version of MS Office is installed (for templates)? RRS feed

• Question

• How does one go about installing Word dot templates and Excel xla addins without knowing what version of Office is being used?

I found this article which talks about Office 2000:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/odeopg/html/deovrdeployingcustomtemplate.asp

but when I try to follow these directions, my dot and xla are not available when I startup Word or Excel.

Once I move the Word dot template to Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Startup (for Word 2000), then it will work.

Once I move the Excel xla addin to Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\XLStart (for Excel 2000), then it will work.

It doesn't sound like Word/Excel XP and Word/Excel 2003 use these same folders.

We have clients using different versions of Word/Excel within different corporations (and countries), I need a systematic way (using Windows Installer) to include these so that they have our extensions after our application has been installed.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tom
    Tuesday, June 28, 2005 1:24 PM

Answers

• I would check for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\11.0 to make sure Office 2003 is installed. If this registry key doesn't exist, I would check for 10.0 (meaning XP) and if you still can't find 10.0, 9.0 means Office 2000. This is my first thought, I do not know what is the 'official' way of checking Office version.
    Monday, July 4, 2005 8:33 PM

All replies

• I would check for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\11.0 to make sure Office 2003 is installed. If this registry key doesn't exist, I would check for 10.0 (meaning XP) and if you still can't find 10.0, 9.0 means Office 2000. This is my first thought, I do not know what is the 'official' way of checking Office version.
    Monday, July 4, 2005 8:33 PM

Thanks for your message!
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 12:23 AM