none
Setting up Development Environment for Outlook 2013 add-ins development with Visual Sudio 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I am setting up development environment to develop Office add-ins.

On my Windows 7 64 bit operating system I have:

-MS Office Professional Plus 2013

-MS Visual Studio Ultimate 2012

-MS Visual Studio Tools for Office Runtime (x64) - installed as a separate download

-MS Office 2010 Primary Interop Assemblies - installed as separate download

What is missing?

I can create an Outlook Add-In project, but I can't find tools like ribbon or form region to add in the project. The project won't debug, saying that  "Office is not installed" ?

Thank you in advance for your answer

Elena

Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To development Office solution in Visual Studio 2012, we need to install the Microsoft Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2012. You can use Web Platform Installer to download it like figure below:

>> The project won't debug, saying that  "Office is not installed" ?<<
    Different template in Visual Studio require corresponding Office to be installed. Did you use the 2010 template? If so, it needs to install the Office 2010 to debug the code. But you can install the Microsoft Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2012 mentioned above for debugging on which machine Office 2013 is installed.

>> I can create an Outlook Add-In project, but I can't find tools like ribbon or form region to add in the project. <<
    After you installed the Microsoft Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2012, you can create a project like below:

You can get more detail about configuring a computer to develop Office solution:
    How to: Configure a Computer to Develop Office Solutions

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, February 14, 2014 8:40 AM