How to config Enviroments in VS Tabular ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody , is it possible to config environts ( dev,tst,prd ) in  VS Tabular solution , like it is done in SSIS ?  i find Variable tab , but i dont find the way to set a connection (string) to be change dynamicly between the enviroments.

thanks.

yaniv012 from M.S.

Sunday, June 21, 2015 7:35 AM

Answers

• Hi Yaniv,

Don’t know if there’s a smart integrated solution to it, but I prefer to handle this the traditional way: Using 3 different tabular models that I’m deploying the respective versions to.

This gives me the chance to run my reconciliation reports in Excel, where I compare the results of every 3 environments before releasing a new version to test or production. There I’m using a “dashboard” that shows me at a glance if there are differences in one of these models: Taking the checksums of my dimensional test-reports (number of rows and Total of the report) and highlighting any differences.

In this case, versioning of your VM solutions is vital because you need to deploy your “new” development solution to your DEV-Model in order to make the comparison in Excel. If the xls-report shows errors, you might want to roll-back to your previous model.

Imke

• Proposed as answer by Charlie Liao Monday, June 29, 2015 3:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by yaniv012 Monday, June 29, 2015 5:41 AM
    Monday, June 22, 2015 4:52 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Yaniv,

Don’t know if there’s a smart integrated solution to it, but I prefer to handle this the traditional way: Using 3 different tabular models that I’m deploying the respective versions to.

This gives me the chance to run my reconciliation reports in Excel, where I compare the results of every 3 environments before releasing a new version to test or production. There I’m using a “dashboard” that shows me at a glance if there are differences in one of these models: Taking the checksums of my dimensional test-reports (number of rows and Total of the report) and highlighting any differences.

In this case, versioning of your VM solutions is vital because you need to deploy your “new” development solution to your DEV-Model in order to make the comparison in Excel. If the xls-report shows errors, you might want to roll-back to your previous model.

Imke

• Proposed as answer by Charlie Liao Monday, June 29, 2015 3:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by yaniv012 Monday, June 29, 2015 5:41 AM
    Monday, June 22, 2015 4:52 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Imke , thanks for your answer , the main problem is to change sources between environments , in case we have in one model many sources that feeds the Tabular it is Uncomfortable to change the connection strings ..

regards.

yaniv012 from M.S.

Monday, June 29, 2015 5:51 AM
  • You're right - in this scenario it can be a bit tedious.

There a so much advantages in having a DWH between your sources and your model - can only recommend such a scenario (actually, you'd have 2-3 DWH then: depending on your different source-scenarios). You'd just need to switch one connections string then.

Imke

Monday, June 29, 2015 7:19 AM
    Answerer
  • hi , yes , you right. 

yaniv012 from M.S.

Monday, June 29, 2015 7:48 AM