Office SP2 Breaks Outlook Instant Search When Searching in "All Mail Items" RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed Office 2007 SP2 on my work computer and I am finding that search queries within Outlook 2007 are much slower than before.  It is almost as slow as if indexing was not enabled.  I am using Outlook 2007 in cached exchange mode with an Exchange 2003 server on Windows Server 2003.  I am using version 4 of WDS. 

Here is what I have tried:
    1. I recreated the OST file and then rebuilt my index.  But, this did not help.
    2. I have verified that Outlook shows under the Indexing Options and that my mailbox is selected. 
    3. The Indexing Options interface indicates that my indexing is complete, so the computer is still not indexing.

I am also experiencing the same problems on my home computer in Outlook 2007 after installing SP2.  My home computer does not use an Exchange connection, but instead uses PST files for my POP accounts.

My OST file with my Exchange connection is 2.03GB and my home's PST file is 1.62GB.  So, while they are large files, they are not enormous.

Has anyone else experienced this issue after installing SP2 and if so, has anyone found a workaround?

Note that I had no problems with search queries before SP2 - all search queries were almost "instant".

Thanks.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:55 PM

All replies

• I wanted to add that I only experience this slow searching problem when using the "Try searching again in All Mail Items" option - searches within the current folder are relatively quick.  Also, I do not experience this problem inside the Windows Explorer search feature where emails searches remain quick.  So, the problem does appear to be related to Outlook and WDS 4.

Has anyone else experienced any problems with searching in "All Mail Items" in Outlook 2007 SP2?
    Monday, May 4, 2009 5:40 PM
  • I just installed the new Windows 7 RC and I am experiencing the same problem in Outlook - searches in Outlook using "All Mail Items" are very slow.  I did not have an AntiVirus program installed in Windows 7 during my test.  The only other programs I had installed before Office 2007 SP2 were FireFox and Remote Server Admin Tools.  Also, I had joined the Windows 7 computer to the domain.  So, this rules out third party programs potentially being the problem.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 2:16 AM
  • Hey Dan!  I personally haven't used Lookeen.  But, I've had a good experience with Windows Desktop Search 4 and Outlook 2007.  Unfortunately, SP2 has introduced this searching issue.  Otherwise, it has been working great until now.  I'm hoping that MS will resolve this soon since I would prefer a solution that is native and of course free :)

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 5:37 PM
  • Aakash,

I opened a supportcase with microsoft for this problem.
    I got the following hotfix link :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;968858

Friday, May 15, 2009 9:23 AM
  • Did the hotfix resolve the slow searching problem for you?
    Friday, May 15, 2009 10:01 AM
  • Stephan:  I installed this on my work computer (the one where Outlook 2007 SP2 is connected to Exchange 2003), and this hotfix unfortunately did not resolve the slow searching problem for me.

I'm curious, did you use Microsoft PSS, or is this type of issue included in the free support that MS offers for it's patches?
    Friday, May 15, 2009 8:32 PM
  • I have the same issue, has there been any luck in solving this?
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 11:30 AM
  • I have the same issue, has there been any luck in solving this?
    Breaks it how? It works just fine for me. -Ben- http://www.officeforlawyers.com
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:50 PM
  • I still have the supportcase open and you are correct the issue is not resolved with the patch.
    (the supportcase is currently opened with microsoft partner support)

Look at the following screencaptures :

http://test.thevalley.nl/outlooksearch/sp1.html
    http://test.thevalley.nl/outlooksearch/sp2.html

The only difference is sp1 or sp2.

Cheers,

Stephan

Friday, July 3, 2009 11:34 AM
  • supportcase is still open with microsoft

Monday, September 28, 2009 2:50 PM
  • This may seem foolishly simple, but you're sure the Microsoft Search Indexing Service is started on the Exchange Server?  Search will function without it, but it will be significantly slower.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:45 PM
  • current status :

==========

After several discussions back and forth with our Outlook development team, I'm able to provide you with some additional insight on what is going on and why Quick Find works differently with Microsoft Office 2007 Service Pack 2 applied compared to Service Pack 1.

After Service Pack 1 was released, we found an issue that was corrected. There has been few additional updates too, but one in particular that had an impact on your scenario.

One of these updates we cannot remove as if we would, we you will eventually be unable to open items from that view.

In detail, the issue in this particular case is that Outlook's view code attempts to associate the search results (from the search folder) with the containing folder the view uses with short term entry IDs which are unreliable for when we are online. Some additional information about Short Term Entry IDs

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc842254.aspx

As a result of this, we would need to use Advanced Find to search for items in another user's store.

The current status is that the issue with Advanced Find is scheduled to be corrected in our February Cumulative Update Release.

==========

Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:51 PM
  • Hi Stephan!  After upgrading one my computers to Win7, I no longer have this problem.  I do however still have this problem on the Vista computer.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 7:23 AM