HOWTO: Import Postscript (EPS/PS) vectors into MS Expression Design 3 (for free!) RRS feed

• General discussion

• Figured out a neat trick to import postscript vectors in Microsoft Expression Design 3 (MSED3)

1) Go to http://ps2pdf.com/convert.htm and upload the .eps/.ps file for conversion to PDF

2) Rename the downloaded pdf file to have a .ai extension

3) Open MSDED3, create a new document, then select "Import Adobe Illustrator File..." from the File menu

4) In the open file dialog, browse to the .ai file from steps 1-2 and open it

You should now see the vectors added to your document.

I can't say this will work for all PS/EPS files, but it worked for the few that I tried.

The convert site indicates its using the open source AFPL Ghostscript library, so its conceivable someone could just create a tool that would do this locally rather than having to upload the file for conversion.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:11 PM

All replies

• hi

I followed these steps and it messed my file up completely.

I really need to import EPS and PDF files into Expression Design. What other methods have people out there tried?

Regards

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:55 AM
  • Did you checked if things are already messed up into the .pdf? I generally had good results from .pdf to .design via .ai renaming, but they were never very complex files.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:59 PM
  • Hi Elena

>> Did you checked if things are already messed up into the .pdf?

The graphics in both the PDF and EPS files look perfect.

>> I generally had good results from .pdf to .design via .ai renaming, but they were never very complex files.

I have had success using the renaming work-around once or twice, but only in the case of very simple graphics.

Regards

C

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 7:08 AM
  • when I had eps files and needed to use them in design 1

i first converted them to xpr files in E3 (available for free from microsoft)

mostly it worked very well

I don t know if it is still available and if it works in windows 7

greetings

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 12:13 PM
  • you can try here if it still works you have register and download it says preview but it continues working
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 12:21 PM
  • Germaine

Your suggestion worked perfectly. In fact, I didn't even need to convert to xpr. All I did was:

1) open the eps file in Creature House E3

2) copy to clipboard

3) paste into Expression Design

Thank you.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 7:13 AM
  • germaine1

Ps. This method worked for 1 out of 4 of the files I tried it on. E3 displayed the other three files partially or not at all.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 8:14 AM
  • There is some shared characteristic among the files that aren't correctly imported? I think the trouble may be in the kind of items included in the .eps and not in their number, since I never had problems with pdf made from heavy autocad files, where there were thousands of items, but all of them were just tame polylines. Are there in the imported files any clippings paths you can unclip? I remember having had a problem with copy and paste from publisher (as metafile) for an odd clipping path.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 12:09 PM
  • There is some shared characteristic among the files that aren't correctly imported? I think the trouble may be in the kind of items included in the .eps and not in their number, since I never had problems with pdf made from heavy autocad files, where there were thousands of items, but all of them were just tame polylines. Are there in the imported files any clippings paths you can unclip? I remember having had a problem with copy and paste from publisher (as metafile) for an odd clipping path.

The graphics I have are not just tame polylines. I tried unclipping any clipping paths that may exist - it doesn't make a difference.

I assume that the graphics contain "Adobe Illustrator properties that cannot be preserved because there are no Expression Design-equivalent properties" (from Expression Design online help).

Have now downloaded a trial of Adobe Illustrator and I'm doing my editing in there.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:03 PM
  • Thank you very much!!!
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 2:35 AM
  • Friday, April 20, 2012 9:49 PM
  • Great, just what I needed, but I see Expression Design Preview Sept 2011 expires on the 30th of June 2012.  Can we buy this version after then?

DGL

Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:53 AM
  • BETER,

You cannot purchase the preview. Look at the previews more as a beta--and remember that there will be a different feature set in the next release and or update. Some items might not make the cut, others may be added.

Hopefully there will be yet another preview if a new release (version 5 or maybe a dot release) is delayed.

Take care, Mike

Friday, June 29, 2012 4:45 AM