Communicating with a legacy Bluetooth device

Question

• I am trying to develop a Proof of Concept app that will let a Windows 8.1 tablet communicate with a legacy Bluetooth device.  This Bluetooth device does not implement RFCOMM or any of the standard Bluetooth profiles. 

What I do on other (non-Windows) tablets is I pair the device with the tablet (within the application) and then send an ASCII 0x04 (End-of-Transmission) character from the tablet to the device.  The device will then sends the status to the tablet.

So far I have been able to pair the device with the Windows 8.1 tablet from the Windows Device manager and then find the device using DeviceInformation.FindAllAsync() within my Proof of Concept app.  From here, I have been unable to find a way to send/receive raw data to/from the Bluetooth device. 

I basically have two questions.

1. Is there a way to pair a Bluetooth device within a Windows 8.1 store app without having to use the Windows Device manager?
    2. Once paired, is there a way to send/receive raw ASCII data to/from a paired Bluetooth device.

Thank you.

Friday, April 25, 2014 11:46 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Here are the answers to your questions:

Q. Is there a way to pair a Bluetooth device within a Windows 8.1 store app without having to use the Windows Device manager?

A. No, paring a device is considered to be a user initiated action and can't be started from the context of an app.

Q. Once paired, is there a way to send/receive raw ASCII data to/from a paired Bluetooth device.

A. Yes this is possible if you are the OEM or IHV that owns the driver of the device. You can create a device app that can communicate with your custom device. Unfortunately we do not allow common apps to communicate with devices that do not implement one of the supported device types.

I hope this helps,

James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Saturday, April 26, 2014 12:34 AM