none
Installing/Configuring SSIS and SSRS to existing SQL Server 2008 database services RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - I have previously used Microsoft BI tools (database services, SSIS, SSRS, and SSAS) in a previous job with a different company.  I started at a new company and can see where these services would vastly enhance our reporting and data analytics.  We currently have a SQL Server 2008 database on a Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise database server but I am nothing close to an engineer (only a data analyst) but I would like to know 1. Do we already have the additional products purchased (e.g. do they typically come in a package and at installation you choose which services to enable?  2.  If they are typically included, how can I have these applications/services turned on and/or configured?  Also - would the configuration take place on the data server or web server? 

Any info anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated!!

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 7:18 PM

Answers

• I think I found the answer to my own question so I thought I'd share in case anyone else had the same or similar question.  SSRS and SSAS do come as part of a package deal with the SQL Server media.  To enable/configure them, you access the install file.  It is recommended, however, that these services be set up on a separate server (apart from the database server) as they carry heavy load and can slow down processing on the DB. 

Thanks to everyone who assisted in my search for an answer. 

Monday, December 3, 2012 9:09 PM

All replies

• Hello,

SSIS, SSRS, SSAS and the database engine are all part of SQL Server media. You don’t have to order them or buy them separately.  

Run SQL Server setup program and on the “Feature Selection” page click the checkboxes associated with the features you would like to have installed. When finish, reapply any service pack the instance have applied before.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 7:37 PM
  • All are part of sql server media !!! For reference please see the below feature selection window where in you can see all the instance features ...

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 7:51 PM
  • Awesome, that's what I was hoping for!  Please excuse my ignorance as I have never been involved in the setup of SQL server applications...so how do I run the setup program?  I don't know who initially installed the DB services or where the install took place so I'm still not sure where to start.  We currently have a database server and a web server so I'm not really sure which one I would be doing this on either.... 

My end goal is to use SSIS to pull data into our DB and use SSRS to create .rdl which will then display in a custom website we have developed for our internal business users....

Again, thank you for any insight or informaiton you can provide...greatly appreciated!

Monday, November 26, 2012 4:04 PM
  • Hello,

Please see the following resources:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143736(v=sql.100).aspx   (install Reporting Services)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143731(v=sql.100).aspx (Integration Services - SSIS)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, November 26, 2012 4:13 PM
  • Not sure where my last post went, but it doesn't look like I posted it successfully...

Again, I apologize for any dumb questions that I might be asking, but I did read the articles you noted above and I'm still unsure how/where to start.  We have one database server, and one web server.  Right now, we simply use the data on the data server and the code on the web server to display some business data onto our internal website.  I THOUGHT I would be going to the database server to install/configure Reporting Services, but I'm really not sure.  If that is the case, where do I find the setup/install files?  If you can explain this to me in the simplest of forms rather than pointing me to further documentation, that would be extremely helpful. 

Again, thank you so much for your assistance and quick responses - it is greatly appreciated!

Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:19 PM
  • I think I found the answer to my own question so I thought I'd share in case anyone else had the same or similar question.  SSRS and SSAS do come as part of a package deal with the SQL Server media.  To enable/configure them, you access the install file.  It is recommended, however, that these services be set up on a separate server (apart from the database server) as they carry heavy load and can slow down processing on the DB. 

Thanks to everyone who assisted in my search for an answer. 

Monday, December 3, 2012 9:09 PM