none
Uninstalling all VWD 2010 components in the right order (if there is one)... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

This is a little bit of a follow up to this thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/thread/9bf45fdd-2b9f-44be-be52-9bed3cd2ab4b/

I am installing VWD 2010 from a mounted ISO image and the installer is showing a specific order of components that are installed.  For instance, it started with VC 10.0 runtime, then VC 9.0 runtime, .NET 4.0 multi-targeting pack, VWD 2010 express, etc, etc...

My question is: If I want to get rid of this, how much risk is there in installing all of the components that I see listed in the installer window, but in reverse order?  Logically, that makes perfect sense and shouldn't break anything.  Thoughts on this anyone?  This is all I have for this thread.  I do not trust Microsoft's removal tools at all.  There's just too many unknowns about them.  I did try one, but it was one a machine that I broke on purpose.  I have to re-install the OS on that one.

thanks for any help guys.

Sunday, February 3, 2013 10:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

During VS 2010 time, product team has developed a neat tool called Visual Studio Uninstall Utility, I'm not sure if you are aware of that. It can uninstall your Visual Web Developer easily. Even with a few options, you can select whether remove shared component or not. Refer to this page: VS 2010 Uninstall Utility.

On the other hand, if you select to remove the VWD manually. It would be ideal if you know what exactly a component is, but that's optional. The uninstall order is more important.  In VS 2012, there's such uninstall order documented as KB article. Refer to this KB page.  Although the component list are not exactly match, you may find ideas in it.

On the other hand, while you uninstall an component from Control Panel, if it warns that it's dependent of other product. You can stop the process and uninstall others.

best regards,

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 11:08 AM

All replies

• Hi ajetrumpet,

Thanks for your post.

Actually we do not have a components list about your Express version.

From your title I see that you want to know uninstall order but from your question I can see only install order. So please check your question first.

If I haven't misunderstood your issue, you want to know manually uninstall order. I could only recommend you try the official setup.  If any components are remaind, there are two reasons:

1. They are shared components

2. Setup is corrupt (To fix this, refer to this page http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/07/01/434814.aspx Use msiinv.exe to list all components and use msiexe /x <product code> to remove. At this time, you are not required to follow and orders)

Regards,

Barry Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, February 4, 2013 2:13 PM
  • From your title I see that you want to know uninstall order but from your question I can see only install order. So please check your question first.

You're right.  I'm sorry about that.  So yes, I am looking for an uninstall order.  What frustrates me more than anything about .NET installations of any kind (specifically Visual Studio or any of its derivations) is the fact that there aren't a set of specifications for manual uninstalls of all the components you receive when installing a VS version.  Here's an example for you Barry, and this is what I'm doing currently:

***I installed VWD 2010 Express and here's a (short) order of the installations I received from the wizard:

=> VC 10.0 RT
    => VC 9.0 RT
    => .NET 4.0 Multi-Target Pack
    => VWD 2010 Express
    => etc, etc, etc, ....
    => SQL Server System CLR Types
    => SQL Server 2008 R2 Mgmt. Objects
    => SQL Server 2008 Express SP1

But you see there are issues with this.  There's maybe 2 different issues that arise (specifically with SQL Server):

1) The things I saw in the wizard's install list *DID* appear in the programs list under the windows OS after install, but there were many more entries too.  Some of these, for instance some extra SQL Server entries, were:

=> SQL Server 2008
    => SQL Server 2008 Browser
    => SQL Server 2008 Native Client

I'm looking for some rules here!  This is *way* too undocumented to trust and I don't like that at all.

2) If I uninstall everything that was installed (but in reverse order for the uninstall), there are no warning messages that pop up when uninstalling an entry until I get to SQL Server.  Then I get messages warning me about dependencies ("if you uninstall *support files* then other entries which depend on it might not work!").  What I've noticed though is that if I DO ignore the warning messages and then try and uninstall SQL Server 2008 (or any other dependency) after uninstalling the support files, the uninstall errors out and cannot be completed.  This is inexcusable.  Is there a solution to this?

I appreciate your help thus far.  I simply do not want installations corrupted, but more than that I would like some efficient documentation on how/why/what the entries in the windows OS are and why they accompany any given installation.  I realize that you can always "custom install" anything, but I can't do that until I get documentation or something of that nature telling me what is what (or at least a dependency tree).  A dependency tree would be the absolute minimum.  If I can't at least get that, there's no way for me to tell exactly what I'm working with.

thanks again for your patience.

• Edited by ajetrumpet Monday, February 4, 2013 2:57 PM
    Monday, February 4, 2013 2:56 PM
  • Hi,

During VS 2010 time, product team has developed a neat tool called Visual Studio Uninstall Utility, I'm not sure if you are aware of that. It can uninstall your Visual Web Developer easily. Even with a few options, you can select whether remove shared component or not. Refer to this page: VS 2010 Uninstall Utility.

On the other hand, if you select to remove the VWD manually. It would be ideal if you know what exactly a component is, but that's optional. The uninstall order is more important.  In VS 2012, there's such uninstall order documented as KB article. Refer to this KB page.  Although the component list are not exactly match, you may find ideas in it.

On the other hand, while you uninstall an component from Control Panel, if it warns that it's dependent of other product. You can stop the process and uninstall others.

best regards,

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 11:08 AM