Tablet (UK)

General discussion

• Any one recomed a good Tablet/Slate PC that is avalible in the UK?
    Would like 4 GB RAM for trying out Photoshop on it but would also like to install Windows 8 on this also?

or would it be better to wait till after Windows 8 gose on sale?
    Tehcnical Beta Tester || Matthew John Earley BSc (hons) || www.o0MattE0o.myby.co.uk
    Monday, September 19, 2011 1:33 PM

All replies

• Well, if you get a tablet now and install WDP on it, you have to keep in mind that it might not be as stable or do what you want it to do.
    So in that essence, it might be better waiting for a tablet with Windows8.

Though if you want to use the WDP on a tablet, any tablet will do that meets he minimum requirements:

• 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
  • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
  • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

• 0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
Monday, September 19, 2011 3:00 PM
  • Windows 8 is not nearly feature complete and upgrading to the beta when it is ready in a few months may involve completely reinstalling Windows.  If you are wanting to use Photoshop for production work then this release of Windows 8 will not work for you.  This iteration of the software is just for developers to begin writing Metro-friendly applications for the day when Windows 8 goes on sale.  Just buy your tablet and upgrade to Windows 8 when it goes on sale.  It will be at least a year before Windows 8 will be finished.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    • Edited by Cbarnhorst Monday, September 19, 2011 3:19 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:18 PM
  • Thanks for the info but I understand about Beta's (tested Vista and Seven, among others) and I only saying Photoshop because I will be using that at some point in the future but not during the beta, even though Photoshop works perfectly on my Home PC running W8DP, and yes it’s for developers yes but the supplied tools do not have my required level of photo editing, sorry but Paint just does not cut it…

The minimum requirements unfortunately are way underpowered, for my liking! : -

· 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 64-bit processor

· 2 GB RAM

· 20 GB (64-bit)

· DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

And I also would like to test touch features which my monitor does not support
    L and I have seen a few bugs when using mouse and keyboard which I would like to test if are available on touch.

Just wanted to see what people where using at the moment and if they had any recommendations on a good Tablet/Slate? 

Tehcnical Beta Tester || Matthew John Earley BSc (hons) || www.o0MattE0o.myby.co.uk
    Monday, September 19, 2011 4:02 PM
  • I'm not sure what hardware is available in the UK.

However, you might want to look at the Blog that lists some of the hardware that the Windows Developer Preview has been tested on in the labs.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/13/experiencing-windows-8-touch-on-windows-7-hardware.aspx

Then you can make a choice as to what you would like to use for testing the Preview version.

Thanks

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:48 PM