none
MS Project - Immutable Task Identifier when rescheduled the programme RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working with MS Project 2010, importing project files to my web application using MPXJ library. When my clients reschedule it, I need to identify which tasks was already imported, because in the web application, additional data is added related to the task. So, I need to keep the historical data integrity.

I try with ID and GUI fields, but none of them is immutable when the programme is rescheduled.

Which task field don't change when the programme is rescheduled?

Thanks in advance!

Monday, October 5, 2015 10:55 PM

Answers

• Claudinho,

No it doesn't. That's the whole point of the Unique ID field. Once a task is given a unique ID, that number doesn't change no matter how the schedule is re-planned or re-ordered. You must be thinking of the ID field. That DOES change with re-ordering of tasks.

John

• Marked as answer by ClaudinhoBravo Wednesday, October 7, 2015 12:36 PM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2015 12:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This the issue is more relative to Microsoft Project developing, I would like to move it to Project Customization and Programming forum.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 5:15 AM
  • ClaudinhoBravo,

I'm not familiar with the "MPXj" library so I don't understand how you are exporting data from Project to your web application. However, my real question is, what exactly do you mean by "reschedule"?

For a given project file, both the Unique ID field and the GUID fields are unique for every task and will not change, whereas the ID field changes anytime a task is added, deleted, or moved.

If by "reschedule" you mean that the client creates a new file, (i.e. not part of or derived from the original), then there is no Project field that will be constant, you will have to come up with some Project independent identifier.

John

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 4:01 PM
  • John,

With "reschedule" I mainly mean to modify the start and finish of the tasks, changing the "original" plan. After a few tests, I understood why the GUID value of every task change: My clients rename the file in every "reschedule" release. So, the GUID change for every task.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 9:21 PM
  • Claudinho,

Okay, then use the Unique ID. That will not change when your clients re-schedule and Save As under a new name.

John

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 10:00 PM
  • John,

That is an option. But, in some cases, re-schedule process also consider reorder the tasks. In that case, Unique ID don't solve the problem because it change with reordering.

Claudinho 

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 11:26 PM
  • Claudinho,

No it doesn't. That's the whole point of the Unique ID field. Once a task is given a unique ID, that number doesn't change no matter how the schedule is re-planned or re-ordered. You must be thinking of the ID field. That DOES change with re-ordering of tasks.

John

• Marked as answer by ClaudinhoBravo Wednesday, October 7, 2015 12:36 PM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2015 12:18 AM
  • To preserve the Unique ID, never do a cut and paste. Click and drag instead. Sorting does not affect the unique id.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 6:05 AM
  • Thanks you guys,

UID works for me! I was a little confuse with ID, UID and GUID.

The last one question is: When is useful to use UID or GUID.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 2:52 PM
  • ClaudinhoBravo,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

To be honest, I've never used the GUID but I have used the Unique ID many times in Project plans and in Project macros. One way to get an answer to your question is to use the Project Help file. Add the GUID as a field to the view. Then hover your mouse over the field heading and hit F1. That will bring up the Help info for the GUID.

John

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 3:04 PM