What to do? RRS feed

• Question

• I've just finished the VB Express Edition book.I've got really in to programming but dont know what to do next.I still cant write a program off the top of my head.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Friday, March 2, 2007 6:51 PM

Answers

• The idea of being a good programmer has nothing to do with being able to write a program off the top of your head...every project starts with a goal...and every goal has obsticles and problems...a good programmer provides an effceint maintainable solutions to achieve the goal....in other words start out with a goal like.."I want to write a database program to maintain all of my cool code that i write"...now sit down and write out what you want that program to do and what you want it to look like...now that you have a clear idea...create the database to hold the information, create the user interface...and then write the code to make it work...fixing those problems along the way....now a good place to get more learning data and code samples and everything else you need to learn how to overcome those "problems" is through  the MSDN VB site:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/default.aspx

HTH

Friday, March 2, 2007 7:57 PM

All replies

• The idea of being a good programmer has nothing to do with being able to write a program off the top of your head...every project starts with a goal...and every goal has obsticles and problems...a good programmer provides an effceint maintainable solutions to achieve the goal....in other words start out with a goal like.."I want to write a database program to maintain all of my cool code that i write"...now sit down and write out what you want that program to do and what you want it to look like...now that you have a clear idea...create the database to hold the information, create the user interface...and then write the code to make it work...fixing those problems along the way....now a good place to get more learning data and code samples and everything else you need to learn how to overcome those "problems" is through  the MSDN VB site:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/default.aspx

HTH

Friday, March 2, 2007 7:57 PM
  •  

Was that ever a good answer !!!!!!!!

Friday, March 2, 2007 8:25 PM
  • Pick a post that you think is interesting and has a code solution and try to make it work in your envirionment.

All of the things we all do as solutions providers are the same no matter the language.

Look over the forum and find something interesting and go at it.

Google samples or sample projects in the tools which you have to develop in.

Try loading a combo box from code from a database table

Then try and write a new record to the table

then re-load the combo box to see your new record.

Friday, March 2, 2007 9:34 PM