none
Message "Visual studio 2010 shell invalid license data. reinstall is required" when opening a VS2010 project in VS2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have recently managed to install VS 2012 on Windows 7 x64 without problem. Earlier I hade VS2010 installed and I had problem uninstalling it properly. I got the message "Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x64) Package failed." on the VS2012 setup. The problem layed in VS 2010 SP1, after successfuly uninstalling this, I could also successfuly install VS 2012. With VS2012 I also have these applications installed under program and functions: See screen dumps in this thread (further down in the thread).

But, now when I try to open an existing VS 2010 project I emediately got the message "Message Visual studio 2010 shell invalid license data. reinstall is required". Some people on the net i suggesting a reinstall of the SQL Server Data Tools, so I tested this, but it doesn't help. The error still remains.

Does anyone know the reason for this and how to solve it?

SWEDEV

• Edited by SWEDEV Wednesday, January 9, 2013 11:10 AM
    • Moved by Konrad Neitzel Wednesday, January 9, 2013 1:28 PM Installation issue (From:Visual Studio General Questions)
    Wednesday, January 9, 2013 10:59 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I did a reset by starting VS 2012 IDE, entering devenv /ResetSettings. After that I opened my VS 2010 project and that went ok. Though,  warning/error for the x64 deploymentproject within the solution. That did'nt seem compatible with VS 2012.

Still hope fore answer on my questions above, though. I now asume I can develop in VS 2012 and also hand over the solution to another developer having VS 2010 (as long as I don't add VS 2012 .NET 4.5 related stuff in my app).

SWEDEV

• Edited by SWEDEV Wednesday, January 9, 2013 4:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by SWEDEV Thursday, January 10, 2013 8:27 AM
    Wednesday, January 9, 2013 3:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I understood that you had trouble uninstalling Visual Studio 2010 correctly. So from your description I would guess that you have some parts left on your computer that are causing the problems.

My experience with Visual Studio 2010 is always:
    - First uninstall SP1 (Through control panel)
    - Then use the Visual Studio 2010 uninstall tool

I am not sure that the uninstall tool can solve this issue right now. I would give it a try: http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2010uninstall

Afterwards a repair of VS 2012 might be usefull.

The reson behind your problem might be: The solution files are not opened directly in Visual Studio. Instead a small tool is started which checks the version and then starts the correct Visual Studio. That is quite nice because it enables you to have multiple versions of Visual Studio installed in parallel and you can simply double click a solution. So my guess would be that some parts of Visual Studio 2010 is still installed on your system and that it tries to start it which then fails with the given error message.

I hope this reply was helpfull already. But I will move the thread to the Visual Studio Setup and Installation forum next for better support.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 1:27 PM
  • Hi,

I've already done as you suggest. I succesfully removed VS 2010, Visual Studio Office Runtime x64 components and Visual Studio 2010 SP1. I confirmed that they disapeared from "control panel/program and functions". But as you could see on the other thread, I was puzzled by the fact that Windows Update (through or own wsus) shortly afterwards demanded and installed several .NET 4 Framework related stuff (as you can see in the screen dumps in the other thread). Maybe thats cause of my installation of MS SQL Server 2008 R2 components!?

I question: You say "That is quite nice because it enables you to have multiple versions of Visual Studio installed in parallel and you can simply double click a solution.".

It's exactly what I want. I colleague said that one can use VS 2012 for both VS 2010 and VS 2012 projects, as long as VS 2010 projects are SP1 projects. Even code, compile and save and still having them as VS 2010 projects, still possible to open in VS 2010.

Have I understood it correct, that this does not mean that I also need to install VS 2010 in my machine? It's all supported by VS 2012, right?

SWEDEV

• Edited by SWEDEV Wednesday, January 9, 2013 4:01 PM
    Wednesday, January 9, 2013 3:33 PM
  • Hi,

I did a reset by starting VS 2012 IDE, entering devenv /ResetSettings. After that I opened my VS 2010 project and that went ok. Though,  warning/error for the x64 deploymentproject within the solution. That did'nt seem compatible with VS 2012.

Still hope fore answer on my questions above, though. I now asume I can develop in VS 2012 and also hand over the solution to another developer having VS 2010 (as long as I don't add VS 2012 .NET 4.5 related stuff in my app).

SWEDEV

• Edited by SWEDEV Wednesday, January 9, 2013 4:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by SWEDEV Thursday, January 10, 2013 8:27 AM
    Wednesday, January 9, 2013 3:55 PM
  • Hi SWEDEV,

Thanks for your post.

Have I understood it correct, that this does not mean that I also need to install VS 2010 in my machine? It's all supported by VS 2012, right?

No, it depends. Please refer to this page

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/hh266747.aspx

Not all projects are compatiable by default.

Regards,

Barry Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 6:05 AM
  • Thanks, I'm gonna look into that info page.

It's a bit anoying that Microsoft had the necessity to change so much in this release of VS and doing the product so much more into a paradigm shift. Making it hard to combine, both between a VS 2010 installation on the same machine, but also project compatibility between different development environments. Personally I liked the VS 2010 much better. Now VS is a bit like a monochrome  "motionsicknes ride", with a complete new layout.

Isn't it possible to make a more time sustainable working environment for the developer, thus still adding more tools and functionality under the hood and behind new plugins and extensions within the IDE?

SWEDEV

Thursday, January 10, 2013 8:49 AM
  • I'm working on a game in the UDK engine (Unreal Development Kit) and ran into the same problem setting up VS 2010 stand alone shell , Express and the VS 2010 C++ IDE itself... I tried them all, install, uninstall, re-install... the subinacl tool with various .cmd files,including my own. I nearly destroyed my system tearing through my registry trying to hunt down the problem and fix permission fix permissions (There's too many of them (in a Harrison Ford, Han Solo voice))... in any case, I found this tool at a web site I sometimes use. It saved me A LOT of time and did the trick for me.

Tweaking.com - Reset Registry Permissions

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/reset_registry_permissions.html

It was the only thing that ALLOWED me to reset the permissions correctly and get up and running again. Read up on it and see if it's for you. it worked me. And now I have a smiley face :-)

EDIT: I haven't been on MSDN in nearly 10 years... it's good to be back!

• Edited by kirklasalle Monday, January 6, 2014 4:03 AM
    Monday, January 6, 2014 4:01 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have not experienced any problems with this since then. After this I have uninstalled and installed newer version of sql server (sql server 2012) and Visual studio (Visual Studio 2013).

SWEDEV

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 12:05 PM
  • Hi, 

I solved with these steps :

1)Installing all the updates of my windows server 2008

2)Installing : DDTS

Andrea

Monday, July 24, 2017 10:34 AM
  • Hi,

Reinstalling visual studio 2010 worked for me. After removing vs 2014 and 2015.

Windows Server 2012 R2 "ConfigMgr 2012 R2"

Thx.

Russell Whalen

Friday, August 4, 2017 2:28 PM