none
Could not find Kinect Speech Recogniser RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

I am trying to run the SpeechBasics-WPF demo - I am getting a message at the bottom of the demo screen 'Could not find Kinect Speech Recogniser. Please refer to sample requirements'.

I am using a Surface Pro (win 8.1) with a V2 sensor and the V2 SDK.  My OS is set to en-NZ (and I have this language pack installed - have been using the built in windows speech recognition just fine).

My question is - how to fix the error,  but also, what documentation?

Sunday, July 20, 2014 12:38 AM

Answers

• By default Kinect speech sample is loading the en-US language pack.

You can change this by "installing" the sample source code and changing the culture name "en-US" to "en-NZ" in the GetKinectRecognizer method of MainWindow.xaml.cs file.

private static RecognizerInfo GetKinectRecognizer()
            {
                foreach (RecognizerInfo recognizer in SpeechRecognitionEngine.InstalledRecognizers())
                {
                    string value;
                    recognizer.AdditionalInfo.TryGetValue("Kinect", out value);
                    if ("True".Equals(value, StringComparison.OrdinalIgnoreCase) && "en-NZ".Equals(recognizer.Culture.Name, StringComparison.OrdinalIgnoreCase))
                    {
                        return recognizer;
                    }
                }

return null;
            }

You could eventually remove the whole culture criteria if you have only one language pack installed.

Vincent Guigui Innovative Technologies Expert at OCTO Technology Kinect For Windows MVP award

Sunday, July 20, 2014 9:37 PM

All replies

• By default Kinect speech sample is loading the en-US language pack.

You can change this by "installing" the sample source code and changing the culture name "en-US" to "en-NZ" in the GetKinectRecognizer method of MainWindow.xaml.cs file.

private static RecognizerInfo GetKinectRecognizer()
            {
                foreach (RecognizerInfo recognizer in SpeechRecognitionEngine.InstalledRecognizers())
                {
                    string value;
                    recognizer.AdditionalInfo.TryGetValue("Kinect", out value);
                    if ("True".Equals(value, StringComparison.OrdinalIgnoreCase) && "en-NZ".Equals(recognizer.Culture.Name, StringComparison.OrdinalIgnoreCase))
                    {
                        return recognizer;
                    }
                }

return null;
            }

You could eventually remove the whole culture criteria if you have only one language pack installed.

Vincent Guigui Innovative Technologies Expert at OCTO Technology Kinect For Windows MVP award

Sunday, July 20, 2014 9:37 PM
  • Thanks very much, that fixed it.

Ideally, I really want to take a look at what culture the OS is set to and then choose based on that, but for now, I am just trying to get a Kinect V2 development environment set up.

Regards,.

Monday, July 21, 2014 6:13 AM