none
How to open VS2012 Powerpoint2013 Addin project in VS2012 which has older office(2010) RRS feed

• Question

• I have developed a PowerPoint COM AddIn on a machine which has PowerPoint 2013 Addin templates in Visual Studio.(VSTO)

but I am facing issues running this on Office 2010.

Now I want to debug the it so I am trying to open the solution on Visual Studio2012 which has 2010 Office templates installed.

So I am getting error while loading the solution ..

Please let me know how could I open the file and debug my solution on office 2010.

Point5Nyble

Monday, October 12, 2015 7:30 AM

Answers

• The rule of thumb is to always design your application against the OLDEST version of the Office application. Going "backwards" doesn't work very well, as you're experiencing. Newer versions of an application add new functionality/classes/methods/properties which aren't present in previous versions - thus, something programmed for 2013 may very well not run under 2010...

As to your issue about opening the 2013 project in VS with only 2010 installed: Most efficient would probably be to start a new solution on the system with 2010 installed and copy the code over - you should be able to open the .cs/.vb files in a text editor.

One possible reason why you can't open it would be that you may have developed for a version of the .NET Framework not supported by Office 2010.

Cindy Meister, Office Developer/Word MVP, <a href="http://blogs.msmvps.com/wordmeister"> my blog</a>

• Marked as answer by Point5Nyble Thursday, October 15, 2015 6:40 AM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2015 5:20 PM

All replies

• Hello,

> but I am facing issues running this on Office 2010.

What issues are you talking about? Could you be more specific?

Try to replace interop references used in the project with ones for Office 2010. VSTO detects which Office version to use by using interop files. 

Monday, October 12, 2015 7:46 AM
  • > but I am facing issues running this on Office 2010.

The AddIn is working fine in case of PowerPoint 2013 but fails to work as expected in PowerPoint 2010.

I tried replacing the interop references in the Project but,it shows some message that Reference to Office 14.0 could not be added..

Point5Nyble

Monday, October 12, 2015 7:49 AM
  • it shows some message 

What message???

Monday, October 12, 2015 8:09 AM
  • Already written "Reference to Office 14.0 could not be loaded" 

Office 2013 is installed on my dev machine.

Point5Nyble

Monday, October 12, 2015 8:32 AM
  • Did you remove the old reference? What exactly reference do you try to add to the project?
    Monday, October 12, 2015 10:56 AM
  • Microsoft Excel 14.0 Object Library and Microsoft Powerpoint 14.0 Object Library

Point5Nyble

Monday, October 12, 2015 12:19 PM
  • I don't think you got my issue.

I have two systems:

A) with Visual Studio 2012(With Office 2k13 Addins template) and Office 2k13

B)With VS2012 (office 2k10 Addins template) and Office  2k10

I have developed the addin on System A,which is running as expected on systems having Office2013 installed,but when I install the same addin on a system which has office 2010,it fails to work as expected.(Plugin loads but doesn't work as it should)

So,now I am trying to open the Solution on system B,which is throwing error and solution is not getting opened.

Point5Nyble

Monday, October 12, 2015 12:23 PM
  • Are you able to add a reference to a standalone application?
    Monday, October 12, 2015 12:27 PM
  • > but doesn't work as it should

What do you mean saying doesn't work as it should?

Most probably you are trying to use new members that are not available in older Office versions. Is this the case?

Take a look at the Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office article in MSDN which explains how to run the add-in in different Office versions.

Monday, October 12, 2015 12:29 PM
  • Still you don't get the original issue..I want to open the solution file on system B which has VS 2012 with Office 2010 ..I will figure out the issue in addins once solution gets opened.

And I have developed the solution using the project targeting Office 2013,which should be working in office2010.

Point5Nyble

• Edited by Point5Nyble Monday, October 12, 2015 12:55 PM Added reply
    Monday, October 12, 2015 12:53 PM
  • The rule of thumb is to always design your application against the OLDEST version of the Office application. Going "backwards" doesn't work very well, as you're experiencing. Newer versions of an application add new functionality/classes/methods/properties which aren't present in previous versions - thus, something programmed for 2013 may very well not run under 2010...

As to your issue about opening the 2013 project in VS with only 2010 installed: Most efficient would probably be to start a new solution on the system with 2010 installed and copy the code over - you should be able to open the .cs/.vb files in a text editor.

One possible reason why you can't open it would be that you may have developed for a version of the .NET Framework not supported by Office 2010.

Cindy Meister, Office Developer/Word MVP, <a href="http://blogs.msmvps.com/wordmeister"> my blog</a>

• Marked as answer by Point5Nyble Thursday, October 15, 2015 6:40 AM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2015 5:20 PM
  • I realized this later on and created a new Solution as you are suggesting..Thanks

Point5Nyble

Thursday, October 15, 2015 6:40 AM