MVC Framework in ASP.NET v. next - how does it relate to Acropolis? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Just wondering how the new ASP.NET MVC framework discussed recently by Scott Guthrie relates to Acropolis and will the two frameworks share some components. 

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 7:29 PM

Answers

• Ben - I agree with your sentiments, but in many cases IT shops are faced with using the same code to drive ASP.NET pages and rich apps.   I think it makes perfect sense to at least re-use the same model interfaces across the frameworks.  Command Objects for example - which exist already in WPF and Acropolis as separate entities.  We don't need yet another Command Object in this new ASP.NET framework.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 3:31 PM

All replies

• It doesnt its a Xaml and C# code behind system so would need extensive java script support.

Regards,

Ben

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 12:05 AM
  • I would love to see a single XAML-based MVC framework where the views could be ASP.NET views or WPF views (or even Silverlight views). Use Acropolis to build your parts and wire them up to an ASP.NET app host or WPF app host based on the context of your application.

Talk about code reuse, developing one codebase for your logic (in a single assembly) that can be referenced by a WPF or ASP.NET application would be Architect Nirvana..

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 4:12 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Slighly OT

>it would be nice but i think we will fall into the trap of J2EE of abstracting away the comms. 

WIndows application have the data layer as the slow conenction

ASP.NET/WEB apps have the display layer as the slow connection .

Ajex have the display layer as the slow connection or the data layer as the slow connection.

Personally i think there is a good chance that web 2.0 will be seen as the biggest mistake the industry will make .  While web 2.0 is great for those guys who are willing to get dirty with Java script ( Google, Yahoo, Amazon,Ebay ) , its still a very poor language for building what is in effect a nTier think client app with a really dodgy client to server protocols (ASP.NET + HTML + AJAX) and increasingly large  clients with a dodgy client language ( Java script in HTML)  .. I have seen many bad ASP.NET 2.0 apps with  massive post backs. 

Silverlight looks good though and Im very keen to see what Silverlight is like when the less than great developers are let loose.

Regards,

Ben

Thursday, October 18, 2007 11:08 AM
  • Ben - I agree with your sentiments, but in many cases IT shops are faced with using the same code to drive ASP.NET pages and rich apps.   I think it makes perfect sense to at least re-use the same model interfaces across the frameworks.  Command Objects for example - which exist already in WPF and Acropolis as separate entities.  We don't need yet another Command Object in this new ASP.NET framework.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 3:31 PM