none
Guidelines for modal tabs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to understand when and how to use modal tabs. My search has been unfruitful to this point. I can only find this document which was first published for Office 2007. However, it appears to be outdated because the guidelines don't match what I'm seeing in 2010.

Among other inconsistencies, under the Modal Tabs section, it states, "To close a modal tab, also redefine the Close button on the window's title bar to close the mode instead of the program."

If you look at the modal tab in PowerPoint 2010 for the Handout Master (View>Master Views>Handout Master), you'll see that the Close button closes the entire application, not just the modal tab. Only the big "Close Master View" x-button icon in the ribbon is used to close the modal view.

Also, the example in the document shows the old 2007 print window which has only one tab. In PowerPoint 2010, the Handout Master modal ribbon has multiple tabs which are a subset of those you see when in normal mode. That subset remains because they have functions which are usable in this mode.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Don

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Don,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I think I can't understand your mean of "Modal Tab" firmly. Would you please show me a screen shooting about it?

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:58 AM