none
Documentation revisions?? RRS feed

• Question

• I see versions 1.0 with the 2007 set and then the jump to 5.0 in the 2010 set. But where can we find to view the versions in-between?

Good example of why we would need this. In the 2010 set within the MS-ASWBXML.pdf there are missing tags under some of the codepages. It seems that they are no longer supported for the 14.0 AS version. So how do we find out what version that tag was last supported under? Need this for backward compatibility for clients that only know how to talk via AS 2.0 or 2.5.

Scenario: For code page 2(Email) under 2007 docs there was a tag for DisplayName(0x10) and it says it is valid for 2.5, 12.0, and 12.1. But, in the 2010 docs that tag is missing. It seems to have moved to code page 17(AirSyncBase) with the same tag value of 0x10. The 2010 docs say that code page 17 is supported under 12.0, 12.1, and 14.0. So, the question is if a client is using 12.0 or 12.1 what tag is supposed to be returned, the one from code page 2, code page 17 or both? Without being able to view the past revisions it's extremely difficult to know the answer.

Monday, March 29, 2010 7:18 AM

Answers

• Question for MSFT, is it ok for Brad to give me a copy of the in-between revisions?

Hi John,

To answer this remaining question, it is ok to share an earlier version of the documents in their unmodified form.

Regards,

Mark Miller

Escalation Engineer

US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 6:09 PM

All replies

• I have each revision of that particular document. I'm not sure if the license allows redistribution though.

I can tell you that 4.0.0 ([MS-ASWBXML] — v20091030 "ActiveSync WAP Binary XML (WBXML) Protocol Specification") does show DisplayName on Code Page 2, with this note:

<27> Section 2.2.1.2.3: This token is supported by ActiveSync protocol versions 2.5, 12.0, 12.1, and 14.0.

Also, the change tracking (Section 7 for [MS-ASWBXML] — v20100205 "ActiveSync WAP Binary XML (WBXML) Protocol Specification") says:
    49446 Removed legacy elements from ActiveSync protocol version 2.5 that are now supported in other code pages.

So I guess (but clearly don't know) that Display Name is meant to be sent from Code Page 17.

HTH

Brad

• Proposed as answer by Brad Hards Monday, March 29, 2010 8:31 AM
    Monday, March 29, 2010 8:31 AM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for your question about the revisions on the Active Sync documents.   One of our Open Specifications Documentation team will be in touch with you shortly.

Tom Jebo

Microsoft Open Specifications Documentation

Monday, March 29, 2010 1:13 PM
  • Question for MSFT, is it ok for Brad to give me a copy of the in-between revisions?
    Monday, March 29, 2010 3:37 PM
  • Hi John,

I wanted to let you know I am investigating the answers to your questions and will respond asap.

Regards,

Mark Miller

Escalation Engineer

US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Monday, March 29, 2010 9:31 PM
  • Hi John,

Thank you for your question.

In Section 7 Change Tracking:

Section 2.2.1.2.3

Code Page 2: Email

“Removed legacy elements from ActiveSync protocol version 2.5 that are now supported in other code pages.”

As a result of these changes, Code Page 2 no longer includes DisplayName.  However, DisplayName has moved to Code Page 17.

Moreover, the following tags were removed for Code Page 2:

Attachment, Attachments, Attname, AttSize, Att0Id, AttMethod, AttRemoved, Body, BodySize, BodyTruncated, DisplayName.

We will take this under consideration for documenting in future revisions.

Regarding the question about sharing the licensed document revisions, I am still investigating an answer to this question.

Regards,

Mark Miller

Escalation Engineer

US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Thursday, April 1, 2010 4:46 PM
  • Thank you, would be most helpfull if we could just be able to view previous versions, OR document very good the changes between each and keep the change log through the life of the document. That way we wouldn't have to bother you guys with questions like this, we would easly be able to find it in the document.

Thursday, April 1, 2010 5:37 PM

Hi John,

To answer this remaining question, it is ok to share an earlier version of the documents in their unmodified form.

Regards,

Mark Miller

Escalation Engineer

US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 6:09 PM