none

• Question

• I have been using Expresions 2 for a long while now.

I have several sites that I maintain all of them but 1 is hosted by Godaddy.

When I try to log into any of the Godaddy sites it comes right back to the login menu. I have tried re-inputing the username and PW. Still comes back to that screen.

The one site that is not hosted by Godaddy works fine.

This problem happens on 2 different computers.(my home desk top and my laptop)

I have already contacted Godaddy and they looked at the sites and told me they are fine and the problem is not on their end.

The only thing that I can think of to do would be to uninstall Expressions 2 and then reinstall it. Don't know it that would help or not.

Any ideas as to what I may have inadvertently done on both my computers to have this problem??

Thanks

Bob

Sunday, August 21, 2011 2:22 AM

All replies

• Are you talking about logging in via FTP to publish your site, or something else?
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 2:54 AM
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling software is, universally, a waste of time. And what is the chance that EW went bad on both computers at the exact same time? Zero.

Think about it: The problem only happens on the GoDaddy sites. The problem is on both computers, Both computers have no problem with the non-GoDaddy site. Do you see the commonality? It's GoDaddy, which is notoriously the bottom of the barrel in web hosting.

Call them back. They probably did a server upgrade or something and changed your setup. It may be a changed root folder or they may have hosed FPSEs, etc. Are you using Front Page Server Extensions? (If you are, you need to stop.) How are you connecting? FTP? HTTP? You haven't given us much to go on.

Logically, given your scenario, it can't be EW, right?

Some people are like Slinkys; not really good for anything...but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 2:57 AM
  • It seems if you have one site working not on Godaddy and the one hosted with Godaddy is not working I would think it would be a Godaddy problem.

Even though GD is good with domain registration they have a terrible reputation as a hosting company and poor support. With our past experiences with GD we refuse to use them anymore.

Sunday, August 21, 2011 3:02 AM
  • Your right I forgot that poece of info.

I am using WE2 to connect to tthe servers and make my updates on them.

I have not been able to connect to the GD servers via FTP either.

I agree with other replys that it seems like a GD problem and that uninstalling and reinstalling is useless.

I can't remember if I am using FP extensions or not. I don;t think so. I will check.

Bob 

Sunday, August 21, 2011 12:39 PM
  • If you are actually logging in to the servers and working on them "live", that you are surely using FrontPage Server Extensions.

Two problems:

A. Bad idea, since any mistakes you make are "live" until you fix them.

2. Microsoft announced that it was pulling support for FPSEs 7 years ago. They are dead technology and will not run on newer server platforms.

My guess is that GoDaddy finally upgraded the server that your site is on to a new server OS and it doesn't support FPSEs. But that's just a guess.

Some people are like Slinkys; not really good for anything...but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 1:06 PM
  • Good catch, Bill. Until Bob said that he was logging in to the server to make updates, it wasn't clear that he was probably using the FPSE.

Bob, very bad idea. Microsoft announced end-of-life on the Extensions about seven years ago, and hosting providers are abandoning them with ever greater frequency. Also, as Bill said, if you screw something up working live, it's up there for the world to see until you get it corrected, and in addition, you don't have the safety of a backup that working local and then publishing gives you. Finally, well, frankly, it's considered to be an amateurish practice that no professionals of my personal acquaintance engage in.

That said, I don't think that the FPSE are the issue, because of this statement:

I have not been able to connect to the GD servers via FTP either.

If you can't FTP in, that should exonerate the Extensions themselves, because even if they had been dropped, become corrupted, whatever, it should not stop you from connecting via FTP. Have you tried to connect using only EW, or have you used a third-party client like FileZilla? it's free, so download and install it, then try to connect via FTP. If you still can't connect, but you can connect to your site at another provider, that's pretty damning evidence against GD.

Call them up, tell them that if they don't resolve this you want a refund of your fee for the remaining plan period following the current month, that you're moving elsewhere. It's amazing how cooperative they can be when they hear things like that.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 4:24 PM
  • "I have not been able to connect to the GD servers via FTP either."

Two points.  Are your FTP settings correct?  Are you using the correct username and password (ftp, not FPSE)?  For GoDaddy (at least the server one of my clients is on), the FTP directory should be left blank.  And, have you tried both active and passive?

Second: If you are using FPSE's to edit live, and you also connect to the site via FTP, you will likely corrupt the FPSEs.  Don't mix FTP and FPSEs.  Best is to not use features requiring the FPSEs, don't edit live (as others have said), and to choose FTP.

And, have you tried using another FTP program to connect to your site?  If you can't, the problem is not with EW.

Sunday, August 21, 2011 7:04 PM
  • I assumed that since he "had not been able to" log in with FTP that he'd never used FTP before and didn't have FTP username, password and home directory setup. If he'd used FTP he probably hosed the FPSEs.

I understand his frustration.

Sunday, August 21, 2011 8:40 PM
  • Opening a site via FTP that has the FPSE installed will not corrupt the FPSE. It's publishing local metadata over top of FPSE metadata that screws things up. Just FYI.

Jim Cheshire -- Microsoft
    Monday, August 22, 2011 2:10 PM
  • Opening a site via FTP that has the FPSE installed will not corrupt the FPSE. It's publishing local metadata over top of FPSE metadata that screws things up. Just FYI.

Jim Cheshire -- Microsoft

Thanks for the clarification, Jim. I haven't used the extensions for a decade, but when I have seen these statements here from those who have used them, and in some cases still do, I presumed they were correct and passed it along.

I did wonder, however, how executable code running server-side and client-side could get hosed by simply choosing another transfer mode. That it is not the Extensions themselves which get hosed, but rather the metadata used by the Extensions, makes perfect sense, and doesn't require a presumption of self-modifying code that breaks itself when a different protocol is used.  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Monday, August 22, 2011 6:19 PM
  • Wow. You learn something new every day, if you're not careful.

The wisdom that FTP breaks FPSEs is a virtual meme in this forum. I've never used FPSEs, so I just took those statements at face value.

Live and learn.

Monday, August 22, 2011 6:36 PM
  • Since the OP is talking about live editing the site,  I assumed in my reply that the warning in EW's help would apply:

"To work directly on a remote production server using FTP

Important Note:

Do not use this method if your site uses FrontPage Server Extensions."

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:15 AM
  • Sorry for not getting back on here sooner, but I have been "Nasty Gramming Email" back and forth to GoDaddy.

It has to be there servers that are causing this because I have one site that is hosted by another company and Expression 2 works fine with it.

I only tried using FTP to log in because I knew it was another way to get into my sites.

I understand the issues that have been brought up with the FTP corrupting the FPSE.

I also understand that I shouldn't be updating "live" like I am.

Once I get the log in issue solved I will address those issues when I am working on my sites.

I did try uninstalling the FPSE on one of the sites. I tried logging in and got the same errors (re login over and over) I even installed them again to see what would happen. Nothing , same errors.

I have been reading all your posts and suggestions. But so far none of them have worked.

I was able to get in to my accounts today by logging into my GoDaddy account and using their Java FTP to download each entire web site to my computer. So I have them all saved as they stand right now on my computer.

I even tried uninstalling then reinstalling Expression 2 on my laptop and you guys were right again. Nothing changed. (just tried it as a last resort)

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I will keep trying what ever you send me and see what happens.

Bob

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:26 AM
  • Finally got it fixed.

Here is what I did.

Uninstalled the FPSE. Then Reinstalled them.

Still did not work.

Went in and reset all the hosting PW to their new standard.

Funny, now it works!!!

They made a chnge to policy and format and did not notify anyone.

What a surprise.

Bob

Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:24 PM
  • "What a surprise."

Was that sarcasm I heard dripping from your post?

No host is perfect, but there are few worse than GoDaddy. You might plan your escape for the next renewal of your hosting.

But first, get a local copy of your sites on your hard drive, work on them and then upload the changed files. That way you can divorce yourself from FPSEs, which will probably be dropped in the near future (without warning). Lots of people have been caught by that on all sorts of hosting companies. No warning, and poof! the FPSEs are gone, never to return. Make the change now while the timeline is under your control.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 11:03 PM
  • What Bill said. I am actually prepared to tell prospective clients that if they insist on hosting with GoDaddy, they can find another developer. Seriously, Danica Patrick notwithstanding (and what has she got, anyway, besides her... umm, besides... well, anyway...) GoDaddy really and truly sucks buttermilk as a hosting provider.

BTW, many people are not aware that you can terminate a hosting contract early and get a refund. I have done so twice, once on my own behalf, and once for a client. If you were on a multi-year or other plan that discounted for signing up for a specific period, the refund will be pro-rated under the non-discounted price, but you'll still get that back, and be free to pursue a decent provider. (BTW, even if you're not planning to leave, if you're getting little response from Support, calling up Sales and telling them you want to check into a refund is a great way to get them to focus their minds on your problem. If they don't, hey, follow through...)

And as Bill says, don't wait until it is too late. I've only ever had one occasion of sudden loss of services, when a heretofore very responsive aspwebserver.net (company) simply vanished one day, taking two sites with it. Fortunately, I work locally and publish after testing, so it was simply a matter of quickly grabbing another provider. But, if you're using FPSE and working live, you could be up the proverbial creek, and it don't smell good...

cheers,
    scott

Friday, August 26, 2011 1:07 AM