First and last dates in query RRS feed

• Question

• My cube reports on web site activity around ad clicks. Each ad has multiple records in the fact table. One dimension key is Date Reported, which is a date when an ad was active.

In my report, I need to have a row for each ad and 3 columns. Column A specifies the number of ad clicks in the time period (entered as a parameter). Column B needs to display the first date in the reporting period for which the ad was active. Column C needs to display the last date in the reporting period for which the ad was active.

I cannot seem to find the MDX to calculate the first/last dates in the dataset query. I have tried

WITH MEMBER [Measures].[First Day Reported] AS

TAIL(

NONEMPTY(

{[Date].[Date].MEMBERS},

([Measures].[Clicks])

)

)

But this returns #error in the column. The error message is “The function expects a string or numeric expression for the argument. A tuple set expression was used.”

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:57 PM

Answers

• Tail returns a Set. As your count parameter to Tail function is 1, it looks like you are getting only one member. So you can do 

TAIL(..............).Item(0).Member_value

vinu
    • Marked as answer by Challen Fu Friday, April 1, 2011 12:34 PM
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 5:58 PM
  • You can also have date measures. So consider putting a datetime column in your fact table and building both an AggregateFunction=Min and Max measure off it. This will perform much better than any MDX approach
    http://artisconsulting.com/Blogs/GregGalloway
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 3:02 PM

All replies

• Tail returns a Set. As your count parameter to Tail function is 1, it looks like you are getting only one member. So you can do 

TAIL(..............).Item(0).Member_value

vinu
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 5:58 PM
  • You can also have date measures. So consider putting a datetime column in your fact table and building both an AggregateFunction=Min and Max measure off it. This will perform much better than any MDX approach
    http://artisconsulting.com/Blogs/GregGalloway
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 3:02 PM