none
PHP mail function on Linux OS on Azure

Question

• I recently launched a website for a client on Azure (windows OS) built in PHP. It has a contact form, which does not work. I uploaded a php info page to see what was installed and discovered that the PHP install is missing a value for sendmail_path and sedmail_from. I did some more digging and found Windows does not have a default mailing function for PHP like you would find on Linux. 

So, I am wondering this: if I switch my client over to a Linux OS on Azure, will that OS have the necessary PHP components installed so my website email form will work? Will the Linux OS have a value for sendmail_path and sendmail_from? Or is this just something that is missing completely from all Azure OSs?

I am aware of the work around with SendGrid, and have read the article about that. 

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 9:44 PM

Answers

• Hi ColinDPritchard, thanks for building your client website on Azure. If you are not using a relay service to send email, you are in an unsupported scenario within all of Azure (including running an application in a VM or cloud service). To reduce the possibility of customers using Azure resources to send SPAM emails we do not allow sending email directly from any service in Azure. Relay services include SendGrid, O365, other third-party relay services, and customer’s own on-premises relay services are your best options. Hope that helps.

Friday, December 7, 2018 2:46 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi ColinDPritchard, thanks for building your client website on Azure. If you are not using a relay service to send email, you are in an unsupported scenario within all of Azure (including running an application in a VM or cloud service). To reduce the possibility of customers using Azure resources to send SPAM emails we do not allow sending email directly from any service in Azure. Relay services include SendGrid, O365, other third-party relay services, and customer’s own on-premises relay services are your best options. Hope that helps.

Friday, December 7, 2018 2:46 AM
    Owner
  • Thank you for the answer. I appreciate your help!
    Friday, December 7, 2018 2:44 PM