.NET 3.5 Offline installation on Windows Server 2012 and Windows 10 without OS media RRS feed

• Question

• We are upgrading software that uses .NET 3.5 to support Windows Server 2012 and Windows 10. For all previous OS's we have supported (Windows XP, 2003, 7, and 2008) we installed .NET 3.5 as part of the installation of our software. In searching for an equivalent installation method for Windows Server 2012 and Windows 10 the two installation methods I have found either require internet access or the OS disk or ISO (using DISM). Not all of the systems that our software will be installed on will have internet access and not everyone will have access to an OS disk or ISO. So neither of these options will work for us.

Is there a way to install .NET 3.5 without internet access and without the OS disk or ISO that perhaps I am overlooking?

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 4:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• You may have already seen this article, but it shows the available install options for .NET 3.5 on WS 2012:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2012/05/14/windows-8-and-net-framework-3-5.aspx

• Marked as answer by sfitzp2 Thursday, June 11, 2015 11:50 AM
    Thursday, June 11, 2015 1:02 AM
  • Hi sfitzp2,

We cannot install .NET 3.5 without internet access or without the OS disk or ISO. Could your computers access U disk?

>>If it could access U disk.

Insert Windows 10’s or Windows Server 2012’s DVD or mount ISO  image, Copy the source from E:\sources\sxs (In this case E: the user’s drive letter) to the U disk.

And then you can open CMD.EXE with Administrative Privileges. Run the following command Dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:E:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess with the source from the Udisk.

Because .NET 3.5 is the default feature of Win10 and Windows Server 2012, so one way is enable it with the Internet in the Turn Windows Features on or off, another way is using the source. If your computers cannot access the U disk, you couldn’t enable the .NET unless you have network access.

Hope this information is helpful.

Best Regards,

Jiayi Li

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, June 11, 2015 9:28 AM
  • We usually ship our software on DVD's. Is it acceptable to redistribute the contents of the \sources\sxs folder with our software? If so, that would solve our problem.
    Thursday, June 11, 2015 11:29 AM
  • Thanks. I had not seen this article. I probably overlooked it because it referenced Windows 8 specifically. I see now that it does mention Windows Server 2012 in a couple places. So this is probably exactly what I was looking for. Perhaps the article can be updated to mention Windows Server 2012 and Windows 10 in the title so it can be easier to find. Thanks again!
    Thursday, June 11, 2015 11:50 AM