accessing azure file shares from office 365 portal (office web)? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are considering to move our on premise file server to Azure?

What is the best solution? is Azure file share can do the job? How can we access documents on Azure file share (or file storage) from o365 online?

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Wednesday, July 4, 2018 8:24 AM

All replies

• If I understand correctly, you are asking if you can access Azure files from the Office 365 user Portal.

I don't think that's possible.

You would have to use OneDrive for Business, SharePoint or Teams/Groups for online file storage with Office 365.

• Proposed as answer by vikranth s Wednesday, July 4, 2018 4:59 PM
    Wednesday, July 4, 2018 8:59 AM
  • Hello,

you cannot combine the Azure file share with the office365 currently.

But you can use Azure file shares on a Windows installation that is running either in an Azure VM or on-premises. 

Please check the below link for detail information -

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/files/storage-how-to-use-files-windows

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/files/storage-how-to-create-file-share

Please Mark as Answer if my post works for you or Vote as Helpful if it helps you. Kapil Singh

Wednesday, July 4, 2018 11:58 AM
  • Hi Giritharan,

The other commentors are correct - Azure Files, like Windows file server, does not currently have any integration with the Office Web Applications. You can of course mount the file share on-premises, and use the Desktop applications to work with the file share without issue.

Feel free to reach out to use at AzureFiles@microsoft.com to explain your scenario for requiring the Office Web Applications over the Desktop applications - this is something we would be happy to investigate to see if we should add this item to our backlog :)

Thanks,

Will Gries
    Program Manager, Azure Files

Wednesday, July 4, 2018 5:42 PM
  • Just Checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same. And, if you have any further query do let us know.

Saturday, July 7, 2018 7:14 AM