Touch Screen is not working but mouse works on Dell Studio 17 multi touch

Question

• Hi

I've dell  studio 17 multi-touch. I just installed windows 8 developer preview.

It is working correctly with mouse.

But touchscreen is not working proper.

I can only scroll pages on internet explorer and can slide panoramic page of start menu, i cannot open any tile or file with help of touch screen, screen shows the area where i m touching on the sceen but cannot open anything by touching the screen.

What shuld i do?

Thanx 

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:31 PM

Answers

• Hey Jag20,

If a driver isn't able to install successfully (especially when due to the driver being for a different version of Windows), try using the compatibility troubleshooter to see if it can help the driver to install properly. The compatibility troubleshooter can be opened by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section
    • Select Search
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver. You will likely want to choose the choice for This program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now when it is given if the latest driver is only applicable to a different version of Windows.

If installing the latest drivers doesn't resolve this problem, try checking to see if a more recent version of your motherboard's BIOS is available from HP's website. Instructions for how to update your motherboard's BIOS should be available in your user manual or on HP's website.

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS/UEFI settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 2:39 AM

All replies

• Hello SSShine,

Make sure your resolution is greater than 1024x768, the Metro-style apps that you are having trouble opening require that minimum resolution.

Gary
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 12:32 AM
    Answerer
  • Hello Gary

Thanx for reply

Actually resolution was perfact, i cannot even open windows explorer by touching it.

And one error was there during installtion, here is picture

Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:01 PM
  • I suggest you go to Dell's website and download the most current drivers for Windows 7 to install on Windows Developer Preview.
    Then check and see if you are able to use the touch screen.

Marilyn
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 10:34 PM
  • I've been using the same setup (Dell Studio 17 with Windows 8 Developer Preview) since the BUILD event.  The touch screen fails to work on both Metro and Desktop mode.  The mouse works fine.  The operating system does register the touch events by rendering the "touch points" on the screen, but Windows 8 fails to perform the associated tasks. 

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:20 PM
  • The error you are showing seems to be a migration file. Did you run Easy Transfer?

I suggest you run a SFC /scannow to see if there are any corrupt system files.

Click on Start page.
    Type: cmd

On the Apps page, in the box for cmd.exe., right click.
    At the bottom of the page, click on Advanced.
    Select “Run as Administrator”
    At the Command Prompt, type: sfc /scannow

This will check for any integrity violations and fix any corrupted operating system files.

Restart your system.

KB Article ID: 929833 - How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 12:15 AM
  • I have a HP TouchSmart 420t and installed Windows 8 developer preview in a new partition. The touch is not working at all in windows 8, whereas it is working in windows 7. Hp has a driver "NextWindow Voltron Touch Screen ", when I intalled in windows 8, it does not complete the installation and complains on the OS version.

Any help is appreciated!

Is there a recommended list of ALLINONE TOUCH computers for which people have tested windows 8 and found to be working fine with multi touch ?

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 10:07 PM
  • Hey Jag20,

If a driver isn't able to install successfully (especially when due to the driver being for a different version of Windows), try using the compatibility troubleshooter to see if it can help the driver to install properly. The compatibility troubleshooter can be opened by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section
    • Select Search
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver. You will likely want to choose the choice for This program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now when it is given if the latest driver is only applicable to a different version of Windows.

If installing the latest drivers doesn't resolve this problem, try checking to see if a more recent version of your motherboard's BIOS is available from HP's website. Instructions for how to update your motherboard's BIOS should be available in your user manual or on HP's website.

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS/UEFI settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 2:39 AM