none
What is file "mfc140ud.i386.pdb" ? RRS feed

• Question

• I have developed a project that included several *.exe files in C++ MFC Visual studio 2015 update 3, Unicode option. All the programs run perfectly without any errors on 32 bit (X86) Windows 10 computers. Development was on X86 Windows 10.

When I compiled the project for X64 (configuration "release" "x64") and installed it on a X64 Windows 10 computer - some of the exe files could not run without errors. I could not  find any error in the code, so I had to debug in a X64 environment. So I installed a copy of VS2015 on my laptop which is X64 Windows 10. I compiled one of the programs with configuration "debug" "x64" and run a debug session.

Very soon I got an "exception". and had to break. The exception indicated that file "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mfc140ud.dll" was opened and that file "mfc140ud.i386.pdb" was not loaded because it could not be found. 

Can anybody explain to me what is the function of this file, and why it has not been supplied by Microsoft for users of VS2015 update 3? How can I get this file to correct this error?

Friday, July 29, 2016 8:49 AM

Answers

• Hi Avi Marani,

Thanks for your friendly response.

Since the VS2017 is the RC version, if it still has this issue, I suggest you report this feedback to the product team directly. For example, track your feedback on the Developer Community portal. For suggestions, you could submit it here: UserVoice.

Sincerely,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Avi Marani Thursday, December 22, 2016 2:37 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 7:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Avi Marani,

Other community members also asked the same issue before:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/eca49b7c-76d7-406f-96ac-dcdca5e35d4a/mfc140di386pdb-could-not-be-found-in-the-selected-paths?forum=vsdebug

It really has no this pdb file now, like MaybeCompletelyW's suggestion:

if you want to step into MFC-source is required, possibly 'Use MFC in a Static Library'.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, August 1, 2016 2:30 AM
  • Dear Jack-Zhai: Thank you for your answer.

Some months have passed, and I have not yet find a way to debug C++ MFC projects compiled for x64 and Unicode. It happens nearly in every case: I got an "exception". and had to break. The exception indicated that file "mfc140ud.i386.pdb" or file "mfc140ud.amd64.pdb" was not loaded because it could not be found.  Recently I have downloaded Visual Studio Enterprise 2017 RC, and got the same results.

It seems to me that the esteemed developers of Visual Studio for C++ MFC, that otherwise did wonderful job, forgot to include the necessary symbol files. The use of Unicode is recommended, and compiling for x64 Windows systems is necessary because most of computers are now x64. Without these missing files the debugging cannot be done in many cases.

I have two requests:

1. Request from the developers to include the missing files in the next updates of VS 2017.

2. Please send me by Email the missing files, with instructions in which directory to put them.

best regards

Avi Marani.

Thursday, December 15, 2016 9:32 AM
  • Question
    You cannot vote on your own post

Dear Jack-Zhai: Thank you for your previous answer.

Some months have passed, and I have not yet find a way to debug C++ MFC projects compiled for x64 and Unicode. It happens nearly in every case: I got an "exception". and had to break. The exception indicated that file "mfc140ud.i386.pdb" or file "mfc140ud.amd64.pdb" was not loaded because it could not be found.  Recently I have downloaded Visual Studio Enterprise 2017 RC, and got the same results.

It seems to me that the esteemed developers of Visual Studio for C++ MFC, that otherwise did wonderful job, forgot to include the necessary symbol files. The use of Unicode is recommended, and compiling for x64 Windows systems is necessary because most of computers are now x64. Without these missing files the debugging cannot be done in many cases.

I have two requests:

1. Request from the developers to include the missing files in the next updates of VS 2017.

2. Please send me by Email the missing files, with instructions in which directory to put them.

best regards

Avi Marani.

Sunday, December 18, 2016 10:29 AM
  • Hi Avi Marani,

Thanks for your friendly response.

Since the VS2017 is the RC version, if it still has this issue, I suggest you report this feedback to the product team directly. For example, track your feedback on the Developer Community portal. For suggestions, you could submit it here: UserVoice.

Sincerely,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Avi Marani Thursday, December 22, 2016 2:37 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 7:53 AM