none
Can't open existing .ofs files in any editor RRS feed

• Question

• I have a project which consists of a number of .ofs form regions which were created in Outlook 2010 and then imported into a project as .vb form regions.

We would like to make some changes to these form regions and I'm attempting to open the .ofs files so that I can make the changes there and then re-import them into the project. However, Outlook only allows me to import *.oft files in the "Design a Form" dialog.

How do I edit existing .ofs files? NOTE: I am not asking how to open .oft files. I know how to do that. I specifically want to edit an EXISTING .ofs file for re-import into VS.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 7:35 PM

Answers

• Hi Aaron M. Hawryluk,

I don't have any Microsoft certified link to share with you.

so here below are some other links that you can try

. ofs Extension - List of programs that can open .ofs files

Can't open a .ofs file?

Hope this solves your issue.

Disclaimer: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, June 23, 2016 9:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Aaron M. Hawryluk,

do you mean you first create Form Region in outlook vsto addin using visual studio.

then you edit that form using vb maybe in windows application project.

then after making changes you again want to import this form region in to vsto outlook addin project.

and you mentioned that outlook only allow you to import *.oft file. what do you mean by that. outlook Application or outlook vsto addin project?

if you are talking about outlook vsto addin project then it is allowing to import .ofs file. look in the below picture.

but I am not understanding here why you want to edit the form region in another project and again import that form.

can't you do that in the same project?

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, June 16, 2016 1:52 AM
  • I'd love to edit it on the same project, but the form region .vb files do not open in the design editor in VS.Net 2015, nor do I have the option to open them in the designer by right-clicking. They open as straight text .vb files in the code editor only, even with VSTO installed. My understanding is that form regions that have been imported from Outlook via .ofs cannot be edited in the VS.Net editor.

By only opening .oft files, I mean the "Design a Form" tool in Outlook only allows one to open files with the extension .oft. .ofs is not an option and the extension mask for loading a file cannot be changed.

Thursday, June 16, 2016 2:09 AM
  • Hi Aaron M. Hawryluk,

what you want to edit in your Form Region?

can you share some snapshots of that and how you are trying to achieve it.

it might be more helpful to us to understand your issue better.

Regards

Deepak

Thursday, June 16, 2016 8:33 AM
  • Hi Deepak,

Basically, I'd like to get these form regions open in any designer. The Outlook add-in they are part of was created by a developer who has left the company and there is no documentation for it. I would like to be able to see how the pages and controls are set up, how the events are wired up, etc. There are a few controls on various pages of the form regions that need their alignment fixed, but without a GUI editor, I can't do anything about it.

Right now I can't edit the .ofs files in Outlook Developer Mode and I can't edit the .vb form regions in VS 2015. I need to be able to edit these regions, I don't much care which particular method gets used as long as it can actually open a form region for editing.

So my questions are:

1) How do I open an Outlook .ofs file? It doesn't open in Outlook's Form Design mode. That only opens .oft files.

2) How do I open a .vb form region (built in Outlook 2010/VS 2010) in VS 2015? Clicking the file does NOT open the designer, just the code editor.

Obviously there MUST be a way, somehow, to edit these form regions in a designer.

Friday, June 17, 2016 2:22 PM
  • Hi Aaron M. Hawryluk,

can you show me the screen shots of the form when you try to open it and also it is better if we can see the extensions of it.

Regards

Deepak

Saturday, June 18, 2016 3:19 AM
  • Hi Aaron M. Hawryluk,

I don't have any Microsoft certified link to share with you.

so here below are some other links that you can try

. ofs Extension - List of programs that can open .ofs files

Can't open a .ofs file?

Hope this solves your issue.

Disclaimer: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards

Deepak

Thursday, June 23, 2016 9:09 AM