none
Problem with Add-In For Word -- Add-In doesn't recognize open windows in Word RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I have a lot of experience writing VBA macros in Word, but I am a beginner to Visual Studio.  I have created a simple ribbon Add-In with Ribbon Designer that has two buttons:  (1) Cleanup Button; and (2) Format Button.  Cleanup Button, when clicked, executes a macro called "ShowTableCleanup", and Format Button, when clicked, executes a macro called "ShowFinTable".  Both macros reside in my normal template in Word.  Each of these macros checks to make sure that a document (window) is open in Word otherwise the remaining code doesn't run.  Following is the vba code at the start of each macro:

If Application.Windows.Count = 0 Then

Exit Sub

End If 

Following is the code in ribbon.vb in my Visual Studio project:

Imports Microsoft.Office.Tools.Ribbon

Public Class November25_17AddInRibbon

Public oWord As Word.Application

Private Sub November25_17AddInRibbon_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As RibbonUIEventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

oWord = New Word.Application

End Sub

Private Sub CleanupButton_Click(sender As Object, e As RibbonControlEventArgs) Handles CleanupButton.Click

oWord.Run("ShowTableCleanup")

End Sub

Private Sub FormatButton_Click(sender As Object, e As RibbonControlEventArgs) Handles FormatButton.Click

'MsgBox(oWord.Windows.Count)

oWord.Run("ShowFinTable")

End Sub

End Class

I did not do anything to the code in ThisAddIn.vb.  Following is the code in ThisAddIn.vb:

Public Class ThisAddIn

Private Sub ThisAddIn_Startup() Handles Me.Startup

End Sub

Private Sub ThisAddIn_Shutdown() Handles Me.Shutdown

End Sub
    End Class

Even when more than one document is open in Word, the code in ribbon.vb returns the value of open windows as "0" (zero).

To test it, I've put the following line of code in Private Sub FormatButton_Click:

MsgBox (oWord.Windows.Count)

MsgBox always returns "0"

When executed from within Word, each macro runs flawlessly.  But when executed by pressing a button in the add-in, I end up getting a run-time error similar to:  "no window is open, so the code could not be executed".

If someone could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Paul

• Moved by 宝宝徐 Tuesday, November 28, 2017 5:39 AM
    Monday, November 27, 2017 4:29 PM

Answers

• Hi SimplyPaul,

you can try to fetch the details using "Globals".

to count the windows , you can use code like below.

MessageBox.Show(Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.Windows.Count)

to run the VBA macro , you can use code like below.

Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.Run("ShowTableCleanup")

in following video , you will see that first I try to display the window count and then call the macro that stored in that document.

code:

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As RibbonControlEventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

End Sub

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I Will move your thread to Visual Studio Development >Visual Studio Tools for Office (VSTO) forum, if you have problems about visual studio IDE, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 5:38 AM
  • Hi SimplyPaul,

you can try to fetch the details using "Globals".

to count the windows , you can use code like below.

to run the VBA macro , you can use code like below.

in following video , you will see that first I try to display the window count and then call the macro that stored in that document.

code:

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As RibbonControlEventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

End Sub

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:31 AM
  • Deepak,

Thank you so much for your help.  Your solution worked perfectly.

If I have more questions regarding Visual Studio or Add-Ins, should I start a new thread or just come back to this one again?

Thanks again.

Paul

Thursday, November 30, 2017 1:24 AM
  • Apologies.  I'm new to Forums and Visual Studio.  I had no clue which option to choose.  But in the end I got my answer from Deepak.  Thank you all!
    Thursday, November 30, 2017 1:25 AM
  • Hi SimplyPaul,

you had asked,"If I have more questions regarding Visual Studio or Add-Ins, should I start a new thread or just come back to this one again?"

you need to start a new thread, for each new issue.

we suggest you to create only one thread for one issue and don't continue the posting new issues on the same thread.

it will be easy to understand and manage the threads. also it will help other community members in future who have same kind of issues.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards

Deepak 

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, November 30, 2017 1:31 AM