SQL SERVER 2008 + SP1/SSMS error... RRS feed

• Question

• User-354420814 posted

Hello I'm having difficulties with a clean SQL Server 2008 + SP1 (64 bit) install.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with VS2010. The Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 1 (KB968369) is installed via Windows Update.

I installed SQL Server Management Studio (64 bit) via the Microsoft website.

When I open SSMS and try to login with Windows Authentication to (local)/localhost/[computername] I get the following error:

Details
    Product:	SQL Server
    ID:	2
    Source:	MSSQLServer
    Version:	10.0
    Component:	SQLEngine
    Message:	An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

Explanation
    SQL Server did not respond to the client request because the server is probably not started.

User Action
    Make sure that the server is started.

Version:	9.0
    Component:	SQLEngine
    Message:	An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

Explanation
    SQL Server did not respond to the client request because the server is probably not started.

User Action
    Make sure that the server is started.

I don't understand this because I opened the inbound/outbound ports for 1433/1434.

As wel as inbound/outbound exceptions for the programs

%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe

%ProgramFiles% (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlbrowser.exe

The configuration manager is configured as follows:

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 1 (KB968369)
    Installatiedatum: ‎6-‎5-‎2010 16:20
    Installatiestatus: voltooid
    Type update: optioneel
    This service pack upgrades SQL Server 2008 to SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 1 (SP1). This service pack upgrades all SQL Server 2008 instances and all components installed by SQL Server 2008 Setup. This service pack upgrades all editions of SQL Server 2008. If you need additional installation options, you should download this service pack at the Microsoft Download Center. For more information, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 968369.
    Meer informatie: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968369
    Help en ondersteuning: 
    http://support.microsoft.com

This is the error in SMSS again It's irritating me for days now please help me to get rid of It:

Friday, May 7, 2010 1:03 PM

Answers

• User-354420814 posted

Holy lord. When I type in [computername]/SQLEXPRESS it suddenly works Yell, argghhhh Tongue out. Is there a way to use the non-express version though?

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, May 7, 2010 2:19 PM