none
Transform All Templates processes WPF XAML files RRS feed

• Question

• I have just successfully upgraded a solution to VS2008. The solution makes use of a modelling tool built with the DSL Tools and a WPF application. When I click Transform All Templates in the Solution Explorer it successfully transforms all my templates targeting the DSL tool, but then proceeds to also process all the XAML forms. The WPF project is a rather large project with over 100 XAML files and transformation times are several minutes rather than a few seconds...

I have notice the XAML pages now have a Custom Tool property setting of 'MSBuild:Compile'. Can this be safely deleted? Will that fix the problem?

A short snippet from the output window follows:

Transforming template RulesManager.xaml with MSBuild:Compile ... succeeded.

Transforming template TextEditorControl.xaml with MSBuild:Compile ... succeeded.

Transforming template ColorPicker.generic.xaml with MSBuild:Compile ... succeeded.

Transforming template DateControls.generic.xaml with MSBuild:Compile ... succeeded.

Transforming template generic.xaml with MSBuild:Compile ... succeeded.

Transforming template Luna.NormalColor.xaml with MSBuild:Compile ... succeeded.

Transforming template ListView.xaml with MSBuild:Compile ... succeeded.

Thanks,

Phil

Thursday, November 29, 2007 10:54 AM

Answers

• I think the Custom Tool property is required for the XAML pages.

The problem is that effect of "Transform All Templates" is actually more like "Run All Custom Tools" i.e. it doesn't check that the custom tool is "TextTemplatingFileGenerator", it just runs it regardless.

I'll raise a bug against the DSL Tools (although if you also want to raise a bug via Connect please do so - it helps us when triaging the bugs, and you'll be able to track the status of the bug).

I'm afraid I can't think of a way round this behaviour at present (although it would be possible to write a macro that does the right thing i.e. is selective about the custom tools it runs).

Regards,

Duncan

Thursday, November 29, 2007 3:28 PM