none
Kinect power consumption in standby? RRS feed

• Question

• What is current draw in these standby modes:

1. plugged into power but no app accessing it (Kinect LED is orange)

2. plugged into power but computer asleep (Kinect LED is off)

Friday, February 24, 2012 3:14 AM

All replies

• not quite sure what you are asking. There is no state where the LED is orange.
    Friday, February 24, 2012 8:00 AM
  • Well, there is on mine.  It's an original Kinect, not a Kinect-for-Windows.  If you open the connection and then close it, the Kinect goes into standby and the LED goes from green to orange.  The original SDK, at least, calls this LED_YELLOW, but it looks orange (http://openkinect.org/wiki/Protocol_Documentation#Setting_LED).  

Any way, forget the LED color - if the Kinect is plugged in but not being read by any application, how much power is it consuming?  The power specs given are for full use, including RGB cam, motor drivers, etc - so they don't tell me what I need to know.  

Friday, February 24, 2012 3:41 PM
  • if you are using http://openkinect.org/wiki/Protocol_Documentation#Setting_LED , then you are in the wrong forum. That is not this SDK or driver.
    Friday, February 24, 2012 5:10 PM
  • try connecting the Kinect to your pc and going to Device Manager / USB controllers. Right-click on the hub that the Kinect is plugged into and look at the "power" tab. See what the draw is there without any app running. That might give you an idea. Some web searches for "kinect power draw windows" turned up some data points as well. I don't have an "official" number for you, but I'm sure you can find what you are looking for.
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 1:57 AM
  • i'm not, it was just first thing popped up on google to provide evidence that there is an orange LED state.  ;-)
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 8:48 PM
  • i'll try that, thanks.  i could cut open the cord and test with a multimeter, but was hoping it would be listed somewhere...
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 8:49 PM
  • Ha, before you cut open the cord, let me ask for an "official" number. Stand By.
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 10:12 PM
  • also, for clarification... Are you looking for the total power draw from power supply and PC or just from the PC?
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 10:14 PM
  • from the Kinect power supply only.  thanks for looking into this.
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 11:19 PM