SQL Server 2016 Stretch Database RRS feed

• Question

• I have stretched 3 million rows from a table using a predicate. It worked the way it is supposed to work but I have few questions.

1. I have stretched all 3 million rows at once and expected one BatchID for all of those rows. But there is one BatchID for each 999 rows. What are the advantages of having this batchID?

2. In my stretch table, there are 3 million rows on-premises and 3 million rows. When I connect through SSMS on-premises table row count gives 6 million, but the Azure stretch table gives 3 million those are in stretch table in Azure. So it is one directional?

3. If I want to run visualizations on stretched table data in PowerBI online, Can I connect to Azure and get the data or connect to on-premises table which pulls the data from Azure and then send it to Azure? Is there a work around to save the network cost?

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 8:39 PM

Answers

• Hi KY369,

You may take a look at this article to understand the importance of batching, and based on my research, the process of Stretch Database is unidirectional. As for adding visualizations to a Power BI report, post it at Power BI Community for professional support.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by KY369 Thursday, December 15, 2016 6:42 PM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2016 10:33 AM
  • Hi KY369,

As mentioned above, this might be more related to Azure SQL Database. Based on my research, you could take a look at Copy Activity.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 15, 2016 8:58 AM

All replies

• Hi KY369,

You may take a look at this article to understand the importance of batching, and based on my research, the process of Stretch Database is unidirectional. As for adding visualizations to a Power BI report, post it at Power BI Community for professional support.

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 10:33 AM
  • Hi Sam, Thanks for your reply.

My question is, if I want to access stretched data from any Azure service, do I still have to access through On-premises SQL Server? The data has to be accessed from Azure to on-premises database and then send it back to Azure data service. Is there a way to directly move data from stretched table data to another Azure service?

Thanks again!

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 9:04 PM
  • Maybe you can ask this question in more appreciate forum Azure SQL Server.
    Thursday, December 15, 2016 2:58 AM
  • Hi KY369,

As mentioned above, this might be more related to Azure SQL Database. Based on my research, you could take a look at Copy Activity.

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, December 15, 2016 8:58 AM