Finally possible to use Windows Server AppFabric with Windows 8 Release Preview and Windows Server 2012 Release Preview when using Visual Studio 2012 Release Preview RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

It's nice that Windows 8 Release Preview and Windows Server 2012 Release Preview have now been made available together with Visual Studio 2012 Release Preview. As these are release previews I suppose that finally it's possible to install Windows Server AppFabric for workflow hosting including the monitoring and persistence service at these two operating systems. This is important because otherwise probably most serious enterprise usage of Windows Workflow Foundation cannot be done using these operating systems and Workflow Foundation 4.5.

Therefore I would like to ask for information on how to get Windows Server AppFabric working with VS 2012 Release Preview and Windows 8 Release Preview or Windows Server 2012 Release Preview.

Best regards,

Henrik Dahl

Friday, June 1, 2012 6:20 AM

All replies

• Have you seen any documentation out there on how to install AppFabric on Server 2012?

I have not seen any information on this yet.

Thanks,

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline

Thursday, June 7, 2012 9:54 PM
  • Me neither
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:08 AM
  • This came out yesterday about SharePoint 2013 which mentions installs onto Windows Server 2012 with AppFabric 1.1: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262485(v=office.15). So it looks like it will be possible.

Thanks,

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 8:59 PM
  • It seems to be totally different in Windows Server 2012 (RC). Whatever the functionality of AppFabric it will be all embedded.
    Check out this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/private-cloud/default.aspx

I'm only wondering to what extent it will differ from Windows Server AppFabric.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 10:15 AM
  • To correct the thread, only AppFabric caching is supported with SharePoint 2013, not AppFabric services/workflow mgmt.

So I am not sure what will be possible.

Thanks,

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 4:59 PM
  • Hello Ben!

I must admit that I thought it would be amazing if you were right because as .Net 4.5 has another database schema for persistency due to the versioning introduced and as Windows Server AppFrabric provides it's own persistence provider it amazed me if the existing version 1.1 could really be used for WF in .Net 4.5.

I observed that the very recent What's new in WF 4.5 video on Channel 9 didn't mention Windows Server AppFabric at all however it mentioned workflow hosting in general. This maintained my concern.

Best regards,

Henrik Dahl

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 7:34 PM