OnPointerMoved doesn't respond to touch, when developing on VS 2012 on Windows 8.1

Question

• I have an OnPointerMoved event that's hooked up through an InputManager in my Windows 8 game. It's worked for some time, with no problem. Upon installing Windows 8.1, this event will not fire when it comes to touch. Has anyone else noticed this?

[url=http://catalog.create.msdn.com/en-US/GameDetails.aspx?catalogEntryId=5cbacba6-05c2-4c33-9005-6cc80c8d5753&type=1]Bible Trivia Avatar Edition[/url], currently in review.

Friday, November 08, 2013 7:25 PM

Answers

• Soft Sell - I think this is a good candidate for a support case.  You get two support cases with your Store account.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 4:48 PM

All replies

• You'll need to provide more details. How is your InputManager interacting with touch? Can you show code or provide a minimal repro sample?

Touch works in general on Windows 8.1.

--Rob

Friday, November 08, 2013 8:03 PM
    Owner
  • window->PointerMoved += 											 
            ref new TypedEventHandler<CoreWindow^, PointerEventArgs^>(this, &InputManager::OnPointerMoved); 

The InputManager's event is just a wrapper around this event. It seems that this is only getting called when with mouse. Again I'm using Visual Studio 2012 to create a Windows 8 game, on a Windows 8.1 upgrade.

I also tried installing Visual Studio 2012 upgrade 4 RC 4, hoping that it might fix this issue. With no luck.

Press and release events fire, but movement won't.

[url=http://catalog.create.msdn.com/en-US/GameDetails.aspx?catalogEntryId=5cbacba6-05c2-4c33-9005-6cc80c8d5753&type=1]Bible Trivia Avatar Edition[/url], currently in review.

Friday, November 08, 2013 9:07 PM
  • That should work unless there's something elsewhere in the app blocking it. If PointerMoved events broke at a basic level it would have significant impact across the system.

I just tested with the Windows 8 GestureRecognizerSample and confirmed that PointerMoved events fired as expected.

This is Windows behavior, so the Visual Studio version shouldn't affect it. What matters is the OS that the app targets and runs on.

--Rob

Saturday, November 09, 2013 12:49 AM
    Owner
  • After testing it some more, it seems that the OnPointerMoved event is fired when I tap the screen, not when moving my finger. Quite strange. I've looked up the code multiple times trying to see if I've wired the event up backwards using an OnPointerPressed event instead, but no. It's PointerMoved, very strange. Yet, moving my finger with the trackpad does get results.

Monday, November 11, 2013 10:20 PM
  • Soft Sell - I think this is a good candidate for a support case.  You get two support cases with your Store account.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 4:48 PM
  • I noticed that you opened a support case.  I'm marking this as answered.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:55 PM
  • This case has been solved, thanks.

Monday, December 09, 2013 12:08 AM