WHQL certification question regarding catalog file RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to figure out what happens to the catalog file under this scenario.

Submit driver for WHQL for Windows XP.

At a later date/time, submit driver for WHQL for Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Will the catalog files need to be kept separate, such that the catalog file from the Vista/7 submission would not be certified for Windows XP?  Or will the new catalog file also be certified for Windows XP.

This process assumes no driver changes, simple a delay in submission.

Thanks,

Nik

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 4:40 PM

Answers

• If you submit WinXP only, the submission fee is 250 USD.

But the Sysdev portal will allow you to select additional legacy OS (WinXP, Win2000) when you test/submit Vista or Win7 or Win8 logo to Microsoft. These legacy OS are free charge.

Steve

• Proposed as answer by BCras Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Twerdochlib Thursday, March 28, 2013 4:03 AM
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:50 AM

All replies

• The catalog files WHQL will return will contain the OS attributes that match the submission test results.  So for your scenario, you could include the original XP results along with the Vista/Win7, submit them all together in a new submission, and the returned cat files would have all 3.

Hope that helps!

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 10:31 PM
  • Thanks this does help.  However would you happen to know if I would be charged again for that XP submission?
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:09 PM
  • Hi Nicholas,

Microsoft still accept WinXP device test/submit for gets "WHQL signature" file. But it's no "Design for Windows XP", the mean is you cannot use "DFW" stamp shipping with you product.

But the Sysdev portal will allow you to select additional legacy OS (WinXP, Win2000) when you test/submit Vista or Win7 or Win8 logo to Microsoft. These legacy OS are free charge.

Thanks, Steve

• Proposed as answer by Steve Leo Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:23 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Nicholas Twerdochlib Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:49 PM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:23 PM
  • Hi Nicholas,

Microsoft still accept WinXP device test/submit for gets "WHQL signature" file. But it's no "Design for Windows XP", the mean is you cannot use "DFW" stamp shipping with you product.

Thanks, Steve

Not sure I completely follow this reply, but looking at my last WHQL invoice from MS shows me that I was charged for XP WLK certification.
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:49 PM
  • If you submit WinXP only, the submission fee is 250 USD.

Steve

• Proposed as answer by BCras Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Twerdochlib Thursday, March 28, 2013 4:03 AM
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:50 AM