Telerik VS Infragistics RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have to use third party control for Silverlight 2010 to make our task easy.  Any one can suggest me, which will you prefer to use?

Regards,

Sandeep

Saturday, May 22, 2010 6:36 AM

Answers

• I have compared Telerik, Infragistics, Synfusion, ComponentOne, DivElements side by side. They all have their own strong points,
    Syncfusion is good performance wise but they come up with their version really late in the queue. Its difficult to wait for their release cycles.

Telerik has some good controls and are the closest to native Silverlight coding standards. Every other tool will have some learning curve to understand their way of doing things. Also if you like to code in XAML, you will find out that Telerik is the best in terms of supporting features without doing much in code behind or adding handlers. Telerik offers the maximum features.

Telerik's grouping is slower and sorting gets slower when you go beyond 5000 records.

Infragistics has a monster assembly but everything in code behind. They have the best help documentation but most of it is code behind. This is my reason not to use Infragistics. I have enjoyed working with Infragistics in WinForms applications.

DivElements has some good tools for Silverlight 3. Waiting for their next release.

Hope the posts help others. I had noted down the list of features mandatory and nice to have. Then went with one which supported all the mandatory features. It was an easy selection.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 6:31 PM
  • Both Telerik and Infragistics have really great controls.  You should base your decision on which control set has the most controls that are useful to the projects you are working on

Saturday, May 22, 2010 7:35 AM
  • Not that this is in your heading, but we use the DevExpress AgDataGrid in silverlight and it is quite nice looking and good for filtering.

Sunday, May 23, 2010 11:43 PM

All replies

• Both Telerik and Infragistics have really great controls.  You should base your decision on which control set has the most controls that are useful to the projects you are working on

Saturday, May 22, 2010 7:35 AM
  • I review Telerik Reports. It's no good. So slow when navigating pages. And report design is not useful.

But Telerik controls is very nice. Ribbon Bar, Treeview is so good and useful. Has cool Transition control. RichTextBox has some bugs.

Saturday, May 22, 2010 8:25 AM
  • Not that this is in your heading, but we use the DevExpress AgDataGrid in silverlight and it is quite nice looking and good for filtering.

Sunday, May 23, 2010 11:43 PM
  • Monday, May 24, 2010 5:23 AM
  • I have compared Telerik, Infragistics, Synfusion, ComponentOne, DivElements side by side. They all have their own strong points,
    Syncfusion is good performance wise but they come up with their version really late in the queue. Its difficult to wait for their release cycles.

Telerik has some good controls and are the closest to native Silverlight coding standards. Every other tool will have some learning curve to understand their way of doing things. Also if you like to code in XAML, you will find out that Telerik is the best in terms of supporting features without doing much in code behind or adding handlers. Telerik offers the maximum features.

Telerik's grouping is slower and sorting gets slower when you go beyond 5000 records.

Infragistics has a monster assembly but everything in code behind. They have the best help documentation but most of it is code behind. This is my reason not to use Infragistics. I have enjoyed working with Infragistics in WinForms applications.

DivElements has some good tools for Silverlight 3. Waiting for their next release.

Hope the posts help others. I had noted down the list of features mandatory and nice to have. Then went with one which supported all the mandatory features. It was an easy selection.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 6:31 PM
  • You really need to add DevExpress in there for their latest 10.1 release.  Some really nice controls and support baked in.  Their report viewer is unbelievably fast in Silverlight.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 1:41 AM
  • check this, this might be helpful

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 1:55 AM
  • check this as well

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 1:56 AM
  • As the other sanjayc said, the Telerik controls are great integration with XAML, excellent for code in critical environments that do not have Expression Blend, I am using Telerik to develop with a production control and becomes a very good among controls Telerik and WCF Ria Services, excellent performance and great convenience to the user interface layer, with excellent results and customer acceptance final

Thursday, June 3, 2010 11:17 PM
  •  Hello

sanjayc is right on target, Infragistics, ComponentOne and DevExpress

I have been a Infragistics user for many years due to an aplication called Deklarit, I always like Infragistics, but now in SL4, everything is done in CodeBehind which increases the learning curve.. XAML is easier to learn and to use.

DevExpress, has a framework called XAF, so we were using their suite. is fast and beautiful ( those two words describe DevExpress Suite) , the only thing is that when they have a new release they break most of what they fix, in other words if you have a project and want to migrate it to their later release, is going to be very painful. you may find that many pieces of your code will not work on the new release, and so on.. XAF does not uses Silverlight controls to generate the UI yet.

Telerik, is pretty much like the SIlverlight ToolKit from Codeplex, but much much better and more controls, that is the best way to describe it... as with the Free SL4 Toolkit you can do pretty much everything in XAML the same goes for Telerik..

now in speed for the SL4 controls, I think DevExpress is a bit faster than Telerik..

we decided the RadGrid from Telerik performs the best for our needs

for our company performance is very important.

is anybody finding our same results as us ? we would love to hear from your test results

BTW: The Silverlight ToolKit  http://silverlight.codeplex.com/ does an excellent job for most applications, 

for reporting  http://silverlightreporting.codeplex.com/ does a good job

Regards

Thursday, June 24, 2010 2:20 PM
  • I'm interested in this discussion specific to reporting - I know this is a silverlight forum, but as others have mentioned typically once you select a tool for controls you leverage for reporting (in for a penny, in for a pound).

We're currently using DataDynamics Active Reports, which has been very flexible, EXCEPT it has terrible support for MS Office 2007 (specifically Word 2007+) - it only exports to RTF which doesn't support the rich formatting we need (images, background colors, etc.).

I know Telerik uses Open XML to support MS Office 2007; just wondering how easy/fast/powerful Telerik reporting is for all kinds of reports (typical business reports and also sexy marketing/signage reports).

Thanks!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 5:51 PM