VS2017 Live Unit Testing - only minus's RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi

    I've described the problem in depth here:


    I've narrowed down the Bug to this:

        <section name="oracle.manageddataaccess.client"
          type="OracleInternal.Common.ODPMSectionHandler, Oracle.ManagedDataAccess, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89b483f429c47342"/>

    Could a Microsoft Engineer please take a look at this problem? 


    ps I am unable to report bugs via Visual Studio because my work environment is locked down. I cannot log the problem @ Connect either because it redirects me to: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/ide/how-to-report-a-problem-with-visual-studio-2017 

    Ok, I have narrowed it down.

    When you add a NuGet reference to the Unit Test Project, it adds a packages.config AND in some scenarios might add an App.Config file.

    When I add Oracle.ManagedDataAccess the following is added to the App.Config:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
        <section name="oracle.manageddataaccess.client"
          type="OracleInternal.Common.ODPMSectionHandler, Oracle.ManagedDataAccess, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89b483f429c47342"/>
          <remove invariant="Oracle.ManagedDataAccess.Client"/>
          <add name="ODP.NET, Managed Driver" invariant="Oracle.ManagedDataAccess.Client" description="Oracle Data Provider for .NET, Managed Driver"
            type="Oracle.ManagedDataAccess.Client.OracleClientFactory, Oracle.ManagedDataAccess, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89b483f429c47342"/>
        <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
            <publisherPolicy apply="no"/>
            <assemblyIdentity name="Oracle.ManagedDataAccess" publicKeyToken="89b483f429c47342" culture="neutral"/>
            <bindingRedirect oldVersion=" - 4.65535.65535.65535" newVersion=""/>
        <version number="*">
            <dataSource alias="SampleDataSource" descriptor="(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=localhost)(PORT=1521))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=ORCL))) "/>

    Notice how I commented out the <!--<configSections ... configSections>-->, purely through a process of elimination I found its this specific App.Config tag that causes Live Unit Testing to fail.

    Jeremy - MCP | MCAD.Net | MCSD.Net

    Thursday, September 14, 2017 8:42 AM

All replies

  • Hi Jeremy,

    I've read the thread you posted on Stack overflow.

    >>Now change the Add's + symbol to -

        The Live Unit Testing works, change the  - symbol back to a + and the Live Test passes!!

    I followed your steps but I could no repro it in my side, the live unit test works fine, I tried both Framework 4.5.2 and Framework 4.6.1.

    and the screenshot of it:

    changed to minus:

    changed back to plus:

    Btw, I'm using VS2017 15.3.2

    I suggest you to update to your vs to the latest one (probably 15.3.3) and check it again.

    And to report the problem, we have to submit it via Visual Studio IDE, and you could search the related issue based on the title to find those similar problems reported by others on the developer community, and its the only place where the VS developing team collect the bugs of VS2017 now.

    Hope it helps and thanks for your understanding.


    Best regards,


    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

    • Edited by Fletch Zhou Friday, September 15, 2017 8:10 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Fletch Zhou Monday, September 18, 2017 8:48 AM
    Friday, September 15, 2017 8:10 AM