none
No Reporting Templetes in Visual Studio 2015 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am having trouble getting the reporting templates to appear in my Visual Basic project.  I was made aware that the default download of Visual Studio Community doesn't not automatically check the SQL database tools during the initial download.  I reinstalled the software and made sure to check all of the SQL and other tool I need but there is still no report or report wizard.  It lets me drag the report viewer into design view but doesn't let me build a new report.

As I click the design a new report button it does nothing.  I have also tried installing the tools assossiated with this link:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/mt186501.aspx

They did nothing as well.  Any feedback on this problem would be greatly appreciated.  Nothing I am trying seems to be working.

Thank you,

Andrew

Monday, May 30, 2016 12:10 AM

All replies

• Dear Andrew,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I have checked the report viewer control in my VS community 2015 with update 2 and it is not default appear under the Toolbox menu, but if I go to Tools—Choose Toolbox Items…, under .NET Framework components tab, there have some Report Viewer items and you should select them then click ‘Ok‘ button,  then you will find the Report Viewer control under Toolbox, please see the following screenshot.

According to your description “It lets me drag the report viewer into design view but doesn't let me build a new report.”, it looks like you can find the report viewer control and has issue to use it, since our forum is to discuss the Visual Studio Setup and Installation, and I will help you move this thread to the VS report controls forum: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=vsreportcontrols for more professional support.

Thank you for your understanding and have a nice day. If I have any mistake, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 6:36 AM
  • Hello Sara,

Thank you for your response.  I have the control in my toolbox and am able to drag it into the design view for my form.  The problem occurs when I attempt to create a new report to link to that control.  My above pictures shows the trouble spot.  I want to design a new report.  I have seen people do this by adding an item to the project but that is missing from my item list as well.  People with working versions have a Reporting tab in there item list.  I do not.  I believe what I'm missing is the rdlc item? That may not be the correct terminology but it seems to be the popular description.

No worries this is a difficult application to produce used to and I might be confused as well. I am used to doing things like this is Microsoft Access and have tried to transition away from the Access and into Visual Studio. However I believe I am missing a piece here.  People who have this working have a reporting tab in this window and I am wonder why I do not:   Also, when I run the program my report view shows this:

I believe I am missing the ability to design a new report as shown in my first post.  If you have seen anything like this or any one else reading this post, please let me know.  This will greatly reduce my work load if I can get this to work.

Thank you,

Andrew Wilhelm

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 12:51 AM
  • Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your update.

According to your description, this issue is more related with the usage of the Visual Studio Report Controls. Since our forum is to discuss the Visual Studio Setup and Installation, I will help you move it the report control support forum:https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=vsreportcontrols for more professional support.

Thank you for your understand and have a nice day.

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, June 2, 2016 6:40 AM