none
Set security on Access database and connect SharePoint 2013 to the Access database RRS feed

• Question

• I have a customer with an Access database. How can I go about tying that Access database to SharePoint 2013 where a user logs into the SharePoint site and they can run specific queries in the database. And I want to be able to set up either user-level or group level security that rules which queries each user is allowed to run.

I know this may be way out in left field but I do need to know if it is at all possible and if it is possible, how to go about doing it.

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Crockett

Thursday, September 3, 2015 7:25 PM

Answers

• That would depend on where the data is stored. If in SharePoint, you can use the permissions in SharePoint. If in Access, then you'll need to know who the user is from within Access. That could be done either through their network log in or by storing a table of authorized users. Hope that helps...
    • Marked as answer by Crockett Hope Thursday, September 3, 2015 9:08 PM
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 8:10 PM

All replies

• Hi. Not sure exactly what you're asking but if you want to keep that data in Access and just have the user login information rely on a SharePoint account, then perhaps you can link an empty list from SharePoint into Access. Then, when you application opens, try to query the list. The user should be asked to log in automatically. If the user has the proper credentials, then do what you need at this point. If you get an error, maybe they don't have permissions in SharePoint, so you can quit the app or do what you want for non-users. Just a thought...
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 7:48 PM
  • Thank you. That helped partially. The other question is limiting users on which queries they can run.

Crockett

Thursday, September 3, 2015 8:04 PM
  • That would depend on where the data is stored. If in SharePoint, you can use the permissions in SharePoint. If in Access, then you'll need to know who the user is from within Access. That could be done either through their network log in or by storing a table of authorized users. Hope that helps...
    • Marked as answer by Crockett Hope Thursday, September 3, 2015 9:08 PM
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 8:10 PM
  • Thanks DB guy.

Crockett

Thursday, September 3, 2015 9:08 PM
  • Hi. You're welcome. Let us know I you need more help. Good luck with your project.
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 9:26 PM