none
USB device descriptor request failed error after PC reboot. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

After installing the USB WLAN network driver, my device is showing properly in the device manager(able to scan and connect to internet). But after PC reboot, it is showing as Unknown USB device(Device descriptor failed) in the device manger. If I remove the USB module and insert it again it's working fine.

Could you please suggest , Am I missing anything to update to stack.

Thanks,

Raj.

Raj kumar Kamsani

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 4:02 PM

All replies

• Get a USB bus analyzer and have some quality time with it ;)

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 4:35 PM
  • you should capture a usb etw trace and see what it reports. sounds like a timing issue if you it is working some of the time but not others.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 5:37 PM
  • Doron,

This issue is not coming if I do plug and play for multiple times. It's coming only after the PC reboot.

Is it possible to capture os/driver prints while booting?

Raj kumar Kamsani

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 5:54 PM
  • we are not telling  you to capture debug print statements. the USB stack has ETW logging that you can use a visualizer to see what is going on. you can capture the log on boot

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 9:24 PM
  • Crappy USB hardware/firmware on the device.   Failing to enumerate on soft power cycle, the chip doesnt drain down fully and ends up in disfunctional state.   It then cant return descriptor data to the host and you have uopir failure.

(Oh, and this might happen only on certain hosts, the timing of the bus enumeration can affect this too).

Friday, January 27, 2017 12:34 PM
  • Failing to enumerate on soft power cycle, the chip doesnt drain down fully and ends up in disfunctional state.  

Sometimes connecting the device thru a hub may help (depends on the hub model, of course) 

-- pa

Friday, January 27, 2017 1:17 PM
  • Yeah, all sorts of things can alter slightly the way the device enumerates and whether the PC and it get on properly.   I have seen plenty of examples where this fails.
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 1:35 PM