Drillthrough help in Report Builder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've looked at all of the published materials related to this subject that I could find but cannot find a good answer.

I'm trying to find out if there is a way to directly influence what details are shown when a figure is clicked on in a report.

I know it shows related data but it does not seem to show it all, infact it seems to pick pretty arbitrary things.

I've tried messing around with the attribute properties (in particular the EnableDrillthrough one) but to no avail.

Is there anything I am missing?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, January 8, 2007 11:30 AM

Answers

• Report Builder drillthroughs are determined using a combination of attributes in the model.  There are two types of drillthroughs - single instance for when only one "result row" is returned" and multiple instance for when multiple rows will be returned.  In the case of single instance, we return all the attributes of the entity you are going to and all the DefaultAggregates for entities that are to many from the drill entity.  Example: if you click on a product name you get all the fields of the Product entity and all the DefaultAggregates for entities that are to many from Product - perhaps sales and returns.  For multiple instance, you get the DefaultDetailAttributes of the entity and the DefaultAggregates of entities that are to many from the drill entity.  Example: if you have a report listing customers and the number of distinct products per customer, if you click on number of products you will get a list of products where we will show the DefaultDetailAttributes for each product and the DefaultAggregates for all entities that are to many from product (sales, for example).  So, the attributes in the model to change are DefaultDetailAttributes and DefaultAggregates.

Hope this helps.

Carolyn [MSFT]

Tuesday, January 9, 2007 5:32 AM

All replies

• Report Builder drillthroughs are determined using a combination of attributes in the model.  There are two types of drillthroughs - single instance for when only one "result row" is returned" and multiple instance for when multiple rows will be returned.  In the case of single instance, we return all the attributes of the entity you are going to and all the DefaultAggregates for entities that are to many from the drill entity.  Example: if you click on a product name you get all the fields of the Product entity and all the DefaultAggregates for entities that are to many from Product - perhaps sales and returns.  For multiple instance, you get the DefaultDetailAttributes of the entity and the DefaultAggregates of entities that are to many from the drill entity.  Example: if you have a report listing customers and the number of distinct products per customer, if you click on number of products you will get a list of products where we will show the DefaultDetailAttributes for each product and the DefaultAggregates for all entities that are to many from product (sales, for example).  So, the attributes in the model to change are DefaultDetailAttributes and DefaultAggregates.

Hope this helps.

Carolyn [MSFT]

Tuesday, January 9, 2007 5:32 AM
  • Thanks Carolyn that's exacly what I needed to know!
    Wednesday, January 10, 2007 10:54 AM
  • Sorry to drag this thread from its grave, but Report Builder seems to be one of the worst documented apps in history.

I am using Report Builder 1.0 and am attempting to allow my users to only query against a summary table as our detail table has too many rows for SSRS to handle without a different filtering scheme implemented.

My report model has the summary table (pre-aggregated table; a quick example might be the orders table with the customer information rolled up by month) and then detail table (hidden from the users).

I am trying to find some way to allow the users to query the summary table, but provide a drillthrough to the detailed table from a single record returned from the summary table.

I can't seem to find a way to make this work using the default report model attributes and properties.  The method described above works when I want to return summarized aggregate values from the detail table, but I want to see the detail records themselves (using my example above, I want to click on the monthly results in the summary table and see the customer records for that month).

So, I next moved onto customizing my drillthrough reports (per MSDN examples).  The problem I am facing is that the drillthrough always wants the same entity (or an inherited entity) as the base entity for the drillthrough report.  When I set my base entity for the report to the summary table, and then select the detail table (which has many records to the summary table's one record), the base entity switches.  This makes sense, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get what I want to happen to work.

I've also played around with just trying to intercept the two XML parameters passed from Report Builder to the child RDL and make my own report with my own data source.  From what I can tell, they only contain the semantic query information from the parent report (mainly the filter used there) and not the identifying attribute information from the parent row that was clicked (I'm guessing this happens in memory on SSRS somehow?).

Can anyone provide some drillthrough assistance for me?  Or just let me know that Report Builder is not the right tool for this job?

Thanks!
    Monday, March 2, 2009 5:04 PM