Microsoft has made Windows 8 desktop UI ugly

General discussion

• As if having plain solid colors on the Metro Start Screen wasn't bad enough, Microsoft is mixing Metro style dialogs with Aero UI on the desktop. Please don't mix Metro and Aero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks completely out of place and hideously ugly. Simple, clean design does not mean it has to be ugly and mis-match.

Check out some of the Metro ugliness in Aero due to both styles mixed:

You get the properly designed for desktop Aero-style dialogs with RPEnabled set to 0 and the new Metro style ugliness with RPEnabled set to 1.

I have a problem with the aesthetics of this UI. This is the first time since Windows XP that I find the UI visually unattractive, bland and hideously ugly. I do not want plain solid color backgrounds on the Aero desktop. Use standard Windows dialogs and UI elements, not rectangular solid boxes of color with white text as if they were done in Paint 15 years ago. The Metro style UI should only be used when the Start Screen is showing. It should never rear its head on the desktop.

• Edited by xpclient Friday, January 13, 2012 3:57 AM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:15 AM

All replies

• Why do you assume the Aero bits will remain like that for the final release? Pretty much none of the UI work other than that required to allow devs to work on Metro applications will have been included at this stage.
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 11:16 AM
  • Has Microsoft officially said this or you are speaking for Microsoft and assuming that this will change? :)  Because AFAIK, they have said "some of the UI bits" are missing, not most. Also in blog posts about feature demos, they are using these Metro screenshots so it is far more likely that Metro bits will remain and show (rather out of place) in Aero/desktop dialogs. Unless we see assurance from Microsoft that this will change, we should be assuming this is going to remain the design and Metro style is going to show for desktop apps.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 11:54 AM
  • Why do you assume the Aero bits will remain like that for the final release? Pretty much none of the UI work other than that required to allow devs to work on Metro applications will have been included at this stage.

Why do you accuse others of making unjustified assumptions, and then procede to make your own? For all you know, the mixing of Metro and Aero elements will only increase by the time the betas and RTM builds arrive. Stop making things up as you go and misrepresenting others peoples comments.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 12:59 PM
  • The final design theme has never been in early previews of any version of Windows for as long as I can remember - it's almost always been the last thing to be seen, so it stands to reason that a similar approach will be used in Windows 8. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see most, if not all, of the "glassy" effects of Aero removed in favour of a simpler, cleaner design more along the lines of the Metro components, if only because that's the way most designers are going these days.
    Friday, November 18, 2011 12:04 AM
  • @AndyCadley

I prefer Aero over the Metro-style design. It's already modern, simple, and clean in every way it needs to be.

Friday, November 18, 2011 12:19 AM
  • You mean like Windows XP, fanboy?

Certainly not, XP is full of gradients all over the place and quite 'busy' visually as a result (though not nearly as much as the Aero Glass effect). Designers in general are moving away from heavy gradient usage and more towards uniform and more minimalistic colour usage and it's somewhat inevitable that those 'fashions' will be reflected in professionally designed user interfaces. It's actually far more Windows '95 than Windows XP.
    Friday, November 18, 2011 9:56 AM
  • I'm reasonably sure it was clear I was referring to the fact it doesn't feel the need to throw colours around as if having more on-screen was somehow better, rather than a reference to the technology that underpins it. Covering everything with gradients doesn't make it any nicer to look at and is horribly overdone in most cases. And worst of all, it's just not fashionable any more.

Even OS X, which debuted with pin-stripes and gel buttons everywhere and then shifted through the 'brushed metal' phase, is now going back in the direction of a more neutral UI design. Fashions play a big part in whether an interface feels up-to date and modern, just as it does in any aspect of modern culture.

Friday, November 18, 2011 3:22 PM
  • They could indeed make them more photorealistic, or they could follow thoe crazy principles that underly the original purpose of icons: to be a very clear and simple representation of functionality. Current fashion doesn't follow your thinking, but whatever you say.
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 1:35 AM
  • With Aero, Microsoft developed a design that was modern, clean, and everything an OS UI should be. It's a shame that Microsoft is looking to throw all of that away with Metro-style design.

I don't know when Microsoft decided that a modern design should resemble DOS, but Metro seems to follow the latest trend in smartphones, laptops, and all other consumer electronics, and I don't understand the point of this trend: form over function. I am highly disappointed with the current state of the consumer electronics market. Some devices are good, such as some Android phones and classic Dell business laptops, but Dell is advertising the XPS 15z right now - and I don't like it nearly as much as the Dell Inspiron 6400.
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 2:29 PM
  • Hello Ed Nahuey,

Please keep all remarks professional and on topic. Be respectful when dealing with other community members.
    You may not agree with another member's comments, but keep your responses polite.

Sincerely,

Marilyn
    Friday, December 02, 2011 3:35 AM