Small Basic Development Environment - Disable Auto-Complete RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am helping a Middle School mathematics department develop a short programming course to include as part of a 7th grade mathematics curriculum. Naturally, I came across Small Basic and was very pleased with it - it has sufficient complexity to keep kids interested, but not dense enough to turn them away.

One sticking point with the mathematics faculty remains, however - they are strongly opposed to the "auto-completion" feature of the Small Basic development environment. One of the key goals of the course is to allow students to figure keywords and syntax out themselves, and with minimal prior instruction, teach themselves more and more. The auto-completion comes in the way of this, and has really been the only reason the department is hesitant to adopt the software. I wanted to bring this question to the attention of the forum and Small Basic developers: is there sufficient interest to create some kind of "preferences" pane to disable keyword auto-completion in the development environment? Do the Small Basic developers see this as a potential feature in the future?

Thanks,

rbedi

Sunday, April 10, 2011 6:57 PM

Answers

• Maybe that would be a good idea in some cases. I think another way to do this would be to open NotePad, then type your code in there, then save your code as a

*.sb file, then open it again with Small Basic. Then you can compile it from there.

~~AirWaves!!~~
    • Proposed as answer by AirWaves Monday, April 11, 2011 4:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by litdev Saturday, April 16, 2011 4:55 PM
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 7:46 PM

All replies

• Maybe that would be a good idea in some cases. I think another way to do this would be to open NotePad, then type your code in there, then save your code as a

*.sb file, then open it again with Small Basic. Then you can compile it from there.

~~AirWaves!!~~
    • Proposed as answer by AirWaves Monday, April 11, 2011 4:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by litdev Saturday, April 16, 2011 4:55 PM
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 7:46 PM
  • Auto-complete cannot be turned off, but you can use noteped to create sb files and compile them with SmallBasicCompiler.exe and CMD

Sorry My Bad English
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 8:38 PM
  • Ah, thank you Oskariok and AirWaves - that makes sense.

Oskariok, what exactly would compiling from the command line entail? Thanks!

rbedi

Monday, April 11, 2011 7:07 PM