none
Visiual report customisation RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Project 2010 to schedule various tasks and, at the same time, project task costs. It is a vary dynamic and comprehensive project, with regular updates to the plan. I run a Visual report monthly for Cashflow purposes to predict how much cash I will need during forthcoming periods to fund the project.

I do this using the "Cashflow Report" under <Visual reports>, <Task Usage>.

This prepares a monthly cashflow for each task line. My additional need is to code each task by it's tax classification, because, here in New Zealand, R & D and expensed items are treated differently from a tax perspective. I do this by adding a column to the plan with the tax code.

My question is how do I ensure that this column is carried through to the Cashflow so that the code appears in the resulting spreadsheet in a column next to each task?

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 3:06 AM

All replies

• I've usually handled this with a custom text field to hold Expense or Capital. I then use the Group feature to sub total either Gantt charts or the Task Usage view.

I had a quick look at The Visual reports, but after adding the Text1 field to make it available it didn't appear to become available in the template.

I'm a Kiwi, so call me on 09 4229678 to discuss if you like.

Rod Gill <a href="http://www.project-systems.co.nz/project-vba-book/index.html"> Author of the one and only Project VBA Book</a> < a href="http://www.project-systems.co.nz/"> www.project-systems.co.nz</a>

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 10:31 AM
  • Hi,

Indeed in task enterprise custom field would be a good idea to classify expenses, such as R&D, etc...

However since it is a monthly report, I'd suggest to use Excel Services instead of the visual reports. Visual reports need to be regenerated each time whereas with Excel Services, you make the report once and you only have to update it whenever you want. Moreover, once built, it does not need MS Project Pro to be updated.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 2:07 PM